Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

coyote

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

coyote

Postby powderhogg01 » 11 12, 2015 •  [Post 1]

A local requested of me to go up above his property and take out a pack of coyote that has been killing small pets in the neighborhood. I am happy to do so when I am not on the elk hunt or working, so it will likely be a few weeks before I get in there. Anyone else hunt coyote?
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Re: coyote

Postby wawhitey » 11 12, 2015 •  [Post 2]

My first coyote hunting was a similar deal. Friend had a big greenbelt behind his urban home, with lots of yotes and his cats were getting killed. I volunteered to help, but having never touched a predator call didnt figure id do mych good. Went and bought a rabbit squealer (he had lots of wild rabbits running around his place) and took the ole 16ga out there and started blowing on the call, as per the instructions on the back. Took all of about 30 seconds for the first one to come in full speed and damn near run me over!! I guess the point im getting at is that "neighborhood" coyotes are likely not call shy at all, due to having not been hunted. Little disclaimer, we ended up getting a police raid, swat team style, for shooting there!! Ahh the good old days.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby powderhogg01 » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I am one of the only active predator hunters in this area. There is a guy who runs cats with hounds but he does not shoot the animals, just chases them for the fun of it. I have yet to have calling issues, if something is nearby it almost always comes to check things out
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

If you call coyotes always be prepared to shoot down wind, many come in from down wind or try to get down wind of the sound they hear.
try to choose a spot they think a rabbit could be getting killed, but cant see for sure, if you are on a bare hill no rock pile or weeds behind you they realize something isnt right, they expect to see a hawk or something trying to kill the rabbit, rabbit distress is the call to start with, then try coyote calls another time.
best bet is to have a decoy dog with you, once they see the dog their focus is on the dog, I have seen video of dogs working coyotes to the hunter, they were dead down wind and didnt care one bit, they were so intent on getting dogs to leave. If you squeal like a rabbit, and they come in down wind you probably wont see the coyote, it will leave instantly, usually leaving without a site of them.
Medium sized dog is best
Scorpyd shooter

Postby lamrith » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Scorpyd shooter wrote:If you call coyotes always be prepared to shoot down wind, many come in from down wind or try to get down wind of the sound they hear.
try to choose a spot they think a rabbit could be getting killed, but cant see for sure, if you are on a bare hill no rock pile or weeds behind you they realize something isnt right, they expect to see a hawk or something trying to kill the rabbit, rabbit distress is the call to start with, then try coyote calls another time.
best bet is to have a decoy dog with you, once they see the dog their focus is on the dog, I have seen video of dogs working coyotes to the hunter, they were dead down wind and didnt care one bit, they were so intent on getting dogs to leave. If you squeal like a rabbit, and they come in down wind you probably wont see the coyote, it will leave instantly, usually leaving without a site of them.
Medium sized dog is best

I watched a predator crew do that on TV just lastnight, they had a pair of dogs. Shot went off on 1st coyote and the dogs ran out to get the down yote. Hunters rolled into yote yelp/distress call, and called thier dogs back. Completely open dirt field, the remaining yotes were running back and forth around the field with hunters seated in clear view. Yotes just wanted those dogs. Hunters took 2 more down before they called the stand. 4th yote was still running around 200yrds out barking and howling..

You Def need a good trained dog for this, one that follows voice commands regardless of the situation.

I have not yote hunted myself, but always wanted to, predator management is important to maintaining healthy ungulate populations.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Roosiebull » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 6]

lamrith wrote:
Scorpyd shooter wrote:If you call coyotes always be prepared to shoot down wind, many come in from down wind or try to get down wind of the sound they hear.
Medium sized dog is best

I watched a predator crew do that on TV just lastnight, they had a pair of dogs. Shot went off on 1st coyote and the dogs ran out to get the down yote. Hunters rolled into yote yelp/distress call, and called thier dogs back. Completely open dirt field, the remaining yotes were running back and forth around the field with hunters seated in clear view. Yotes just wanted those dogs. Hunters took 2 more down before they called the stand. 4th yote was still running around 200yrds out barking and howling..

You Def need a good trained dog for this, one that follows voice commands regardless of the situation.

I have not yote hunted myself, but always wanted to, predator management is important to maintaining healthy ungulate populations.

I think I saw the same show, pretty interesting. I don't shoot many coyotes, we don't have many anymore, I think the lions killed them all. I did kill one a few weeks ago, a pair came into fawn distress...I didn't like their intent, so I killed the furthest one from me (about 5 yds :mrgreen: ) tried to get the other one, but I think I shot about 10 ft behind it...those things can move!
Roosiebull

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

you can keep the decoy dog close to you, on a leash if you prefer, once they see the dog your chance of success goes up
Scorpyd shooter