Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to Release a Cougar from a Trap

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to Release a Cougar from a Trap

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Well, this is something I wouldn't want to assist with unless absolutely necessary :shock:

PINE VALLEY, Utah -
A cougar accidentally got caught in a bobcat trap in the Pine Valley Mountains of Utah and wildlife rescuers with the Division of Wildlife Resources had to step in to help the massive cat. The entire rescue was captured in a heart stopping video.

Mark Ekins, Conservation Officer for the DWR says it's illegal to trap a cougars in Utah, so when trappers find a mountain lion in their trap, they are required to release the animal and report it to DWR officials within 48 hours. Cougars can usually free themselves when they get stuck in traps like these but every once in a while, they need help to free themselves.

The team chose to use catch pulls to free the cougar because they say they are more humane than tranquilizers. Ekins says tranquilizers can be difficult to access and sometimes result in the animal not waking up.

Ekins says he's rescued many cougars in his career but only three have been as big as the one in this video and he admits, he was definitely nervous.

"If I wasn't nervous or started to lack respect for the power of that animal, it could potentially be very dangerous," he said. "I'm nervous and I'm extremely careful when doing it. … I've probably only done three in my career that were as big as the one you saw. That was a really big one."

The video was captured on December 17, 2015 but only recently posted to YouTube.

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How to Release a Cougar from a Trap

Postby wawhitey » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 2]

How to release a cougar from a trap the right way.

Step 1: shoot cougar
Step 2: reset trap
Step 3: eat cougar loin
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Stick » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 3]

[quote="Phantom16"]. Cougars can usually free themselves when they get stuck in traps like these but every once in a while, they need help to free themselves.

Hate to disagree but that isn't so. A cougar cannot free himself from a properly powered # 3 Bridger or a trap like an MB 650. Can show you many pics of them in such traps. Now if this was a 1.75 or something I would agree. In a 4 coiled # 3 Bridger he will be sitting there grinning until someone lends a hand. Just hope your not the one lending a hand. :lol:
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby Northman » 03 25, 2016 •  [Post 4]

That's one big kitty! Looks like the DWR officer had a good handle on a dangerous situation.
Northman

Postby GobbleFarmer » 03 25, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Northman wrote:That's one big kitty! Looks like the DWR officer had a good handle on a dangerous situation.

True dat!
I like whitey's idea best though maybe not eating it, that part sounds gross.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby Ridgernr » 03 25, 2016 •  [Post 6]

That is part of that job that would be pretty rewarding , and intense. Thanks for posting
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Timber » 05 27, 2016 •  [Post 7]

GobbleFarmer wrote:
Northman wrote:That's one big kitty! Looks like the DWR officer had a good handle on a dangerous situation.

True dat!
I like whitey's idea best though maybe not eating it, that part sounds gross.

GobbleFarmer, Lion is actually very tasty! If you like pork you will like cat.
Timber

Postby Lefty » 05 31, 2016 •  [Post 8]

WAwhity thats a good one

Timber wrote:
GobbleFarmer wrote:GobbleFarmer, Lion is actually very tasty! If you like pork you will like cat.

a very sweet meat

I think it would be a blast releasing big cats. With the right equipment ( and partner).
Running lions is a big kick in the pants too.
When we use to run trap lines most early season days we were releasing 3,4,5,6,7, badgers a day. Now that moves some adrenaline. But there is nothing more exciting than bobcats,.. I havent caught that many,.. but seeing a trap missing from its bed, following the drag chain back to the trap,..right at your feet then locking eyes with a cat inches from your face or feet.

When running trap lines for fox in northern Mn I purposely only used 1 1/2 coils,.. way too small for a wolf. I had one wolf ( tracks in the snow) fire three consecutive traps a mile apart, the wolf just pulled and the jaws popped out of the frame.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

what stick said is true most of times, I trapped WY 13 times, so glad I never caught a cougar, I dont know if I want to put my catch pole on one, lol I would sure be nervous
I too use modified #3 Bridgers, dang good trap for the money, sterlings would be better maybe, but way to high priced for my income
Scorpyd shooter