Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

whos afraid of the big bad wolf?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

whos afraid of the big bad wolf?

Postby wawhitey » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 1]

You think maybe this doe is? Dig the time stamp. Sorry for crap pic quality, im too cheap to have internet at my house so i just took phone pics of my computer screen. Ill post the actual pics later, and superimpose one on the other dor size comparison. This wolf is bigger than the deer :o
Attachments
rsz_20160412_181737.jpg
rsz_20160412_181737.jpg (95.54 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
rsz_20160412_181750.jpg
rsz_20160412_181750.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: whos afraid of the big bad wolf?

Postby wawhitey » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 2]

K actual pics here.
Attachments
rsz_img_0002.jpg
rsz_img_0002.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
rsz_img_0003.jpg
rsz_img_0003.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Coug n bear same spot for size comparison.
Attachments
rsz_img_0040.jpg
rsz_img_0040.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
rsz_img_0003.jpg
rsz_img_0003.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
index-2.jpeg
index-2.jpeg (103 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Wow, it's like a wildlife park at your place with a flare for predators! What's next, an African Lion :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 04 14, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Just for fun, heres the two pics layered on top of eachother
Attachments
rsz_dean_deer_and_wolf_comparison.jpg
rsz_dean_deer_and_wolf_comparison.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I am usually not nervous or afraid in the forest, but things can happen to change my mind. A wolf or cougar stalking me would be a good example. One time I was walking down a narrow trail and had a large bear come around the corner just a few feet in front of me. I immediately threw up my arms and ran at him while I yelled. At our closest point, I could have reached out and kicked or touched the bear. Fortunately the bear turned and ran.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 30, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Really cool pics, whitey.

I had a similar incident with a bear. I had a dog with me that engaged the bear but it was a rush. I threw rocks at close range (10 feet) while it fought with my dog. It was a pretty long encounter too. 1 or 2 minutes but it felt like 15. If I had wolves around , I would carry a handgun just in case.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 05 01, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Afraid? When I first started seeing wolves in Montana I wasn't. They were really skittish and you'd be lucky to get a glimpse of them. It took several years but they eventually figured out that we just stared at them and didn't shoot at them or chase them. So they got braver. A whole freaking lot braver! To the point of chasing horses through corral fence right next to tents and surrounding a few guys at close range. If you were to be sitting on the ground with a bow in your hand and a pack of 6 or so passed at really close range I guarantee you'd get a chill down your spine. They are professional killers 24/7/365.

So one day I started carrying a Springfield XD .45 acp. it makes me feel better in the day but at night you know they don't say here I come.

My brother was stalked by a lion once with an elk quarter on his back. He heard it growl. Further down the trail he heard twigs snap. He was sure if it enough to draw his pistol. But every time he would spin around with his headlamp on he wouldn't see anything. Until the last time! The twig snapped loud and he could hear pads on the ground. He spun around and saw the green eyes at about 10 yards and coming. He fired off about 5 rounds toward it as he was turning around to run. He had no idea if he hit it or not but the was the last he saw of it. I used to see that cat's tracks all the time but could ever cut one during lion season.

The though of a single lion isn't the same as the idea of a pack of animals working together. I bet there were other wolves flanking the one in your picture.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wawhitey » 05 01, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote: I bet there were other wolves flanking the one in your picture.

I dont think so, ive talked to a couple other folks whove seen a lone black wolf in the general area this winter. Even got a pic of what is probably the same animal from a guy who has property just a few miles up the road. He seems to like my neighborhood. Really hope something unfortunate doesnt happen to it before it multiplies. :lol:
Attachments
rsz_black_wolfpdf.jpg
rsz_black_wolfpdf.jpg (170.25 KiB) Viewed 9797 times
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Ive had three visual encounters with wolves. While hiking with my wife in the desert a wolf crossed in front of us less than 80 yards. I didnt see that wolf.
Soon as my dogs crossed the scent trail both dogs heeled ( afraid).

12 miles north two years later I jumped two wolves stalking on some pronghorns, they were gone in a flash, really stretchering it out as they ran.

Another time, in a different region while glassing a hillside for bears a pair walked about 200 yards across a creek bottom. I dont know how they spotted us but did and were gone.

However my brother had a more serious encounter. He has passed so Ill share the story: He didnt tell anyone for years after he killed the wolf, and I may have been the only one he told. He had quit hunting with one group because of the braggarts who promoted SSS. He wasn't out to kill a wolf or even cared to. Where he hunted he believed there were enough deer to share with wolves.
While deer hunting in northern Minnesota he was sitting on a log watching a series of deer trails. A single wolf walking the closest trail, about 20 yards away , noticed my brother and advanced on him while growling, and baring its teeth. There was no sign of caution from the wolf , direct deliberate walking in on my brother. My brother said he didnt have any fear ( 5' 10" 320 lbs and was still outskating kids he coached) and told the wolf In a steady voice "go home". My brother really expected the wolf to have a different response to his voice. The rifle on his lap, at less than 3 feet from the barrel my brother pulled the trigger. My brother also stated he couldn't believe that wolf wouldn't leave( Or was it listen)
I tried to have my brother report the incident because the wolf was aggressive. I even argued the skull would show how close the shot was,.. but likely the skull had decomposed by then anyway.
Because of the way officials were handling wolf killings , in-depth interrogations, threat of loss of privileges , and huge fines he refused to report the wolves aggression.I do recall my brother was mostly matter-of-fact that wolf needed to be killed
Unfortunate I dont recall enough other details either.

Am I afraid,.. my experiences is "no", but Ill tell you my brothers experience is also in the fore-front.
I keep a wolf tag and truly believe arrowing a wolf (r lion) me would be better than a 350 bull
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby NorthIDTLH » 06 19, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Law Enforcement (With the backing of the US Supreme Court) considers a human with an edged weapon to be a lethal force situation, justified within 21 feet. Studies have been shown and recognized by the courts in all states that a man with a knife at 21 feet can cover that distance and kill an officer before the officer can react and shoot. This has been upheld and used as a guideline for law enforcement for many years. It's commonly referred to as the "21 foot rule".

When it comes to wolves and other predators, I would at the very least double that distance due to their speed and agility. As soon as you perceive a threat, you are justified to use any force reasonable to stop the threat. Most of us have families to think of. I read the story above and have all the respect in the world for that guy's self control. However, I'm killing any wolf within 40-50 feet that is advancing on me. Humans are still in charge here.

If you kill a wolf (Any predator), tell your local law enforcement. Answer their questions. If it gets uncomfortable or accusatory, stop. Ask for a lawyer and walk away. The concept of what's right and wrong is easily forgotten and happens wayyyyy too much these days.

Protect yourself and your family.
NorthIDTLH

Postby Lefty » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I would consider a wolf or wolves way more of the threat than a mt lion. And Im sure my hackles would rise if one was aware of me and still came my direction.

Tags are cheap and we still have way too many, 713 before welping season this year

Some great,.. I mean trophy trail cam pics!!!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 09 24, 2016 •  [Post 13]

Well, im in alaska and just got a troubling email from my only neighbor. She saw "3 large canines" running through my timber, much larger than her 80lb dog. Damn. I really want to get home and check my cams.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Well, jumped a deer at first light this morning, then had a pack of wolves howling right on top of me right in my honey hole. Didnt see nothin all day.
wawhitey

Postby elkstalker » 11 07, 2016 •  [Post 15]

In the past I've heard and seen wolf tracks but never had them directly effect a hunt. This year on both my daughters and my hunt we witnessed wolves pushing elk, harassing elk, and even heard a pack take down a cow (saw 21 elk enter a patch of timber heard wolves and a cow whining/bawling and only 20 elk emerged on the other side...). I'll be carrying a wolf tag from now on...
elkstalker