Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

exciting night in lion country

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

exciting night in lion country

Postby wawhitey » 07 10, 2016 •  [Post 1]

So any of you who have seen my "looks like trouble" thread know i have a lot of cougs running around my house. Couple hours ago im sitting at my dining room table with the window open and i hear a cougar contact whistle. Excited cat noise. Coming from the timber between my house and the neighbors house.
At first i thought i was imagining it, but then it happened again. Yup, that was a lion. So im thinking, what has that cat so excited? I grab my cougar whistle call, thinking this is a perfect opportunity to test it out, see if i can call the cat in. I hear it again on my way out the door. I get outdide and thsts when i hear my neighbor yelling for her dog. Not in a "come inside its dinner time" sort of way, this was a S.H.T.F. sort of yelling.
So i start running over there and yell "wheres momma dog!?"
Neighbor yells "she has something treed i think its a bear!"
Momma dog came hauling ass around the house same time i did, fur all on end looking crazy, never seen her like that.
I asked what tree and she showed me a big clump of trees. I didnt see anything, but i knew what was going on. I said i just heared a cougar contact whistle between these trees and my house. Ill bet the farm momma dog just treed a cougar cub and i heard the momma cougar, theres a baby coug in one of these trees and its mom is right inside the timber watching us right now, you can bet on it. Keep the dog inside tonight. So i walk back to my house and maybe 2 minutes later the neighbor calls me and says she just saw a huge cougar run through her yard heading my way.
I kept my eyes open, but told her with any luck that all this commotion will make the momma cougar think twice about walking around peoples houses, especially with her cubs in tow, and shell likely be a couple miles away tomorrow.

I really like that dog, i hope the damn cat learned its lesson
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: exciting night in lion country

Postby cohunter14 » 07 11, 2016 •  [Post 2]

:shock: That's crazy stuff! Hopefully you are able to do some population reduction this year.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Re: exciting night in lion country

Postby Lefty » 07 23, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Cats that have been run alot will tree from a little lap dog,..... sometimes. Cats are just neat to mess with

The neighbor boy had his first hound killed Christmas week by a big cat,.. poor kid had a tough time ( think ole Dan, Lil Ann). A bunch of other hounds man heard about it and asked what he wanted to do. They sent in a team of men and dogs to kill the huge cat, made book.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H