Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First time buying a bear tag

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First time buying a bear tag

Postby 82ndreddevil » 07 28, 2016 •  [Post 1]

So every year I go elk hunting I am having more and more bear encounters. This year I am gonna purchase a tag to carry with me during my elk hunt. My priority is elk though, I will not even nock an arrow for a bear until I get an elk down. The local Game and fish said that I can sit and watch elk remains in order to try to Cuba g a bear. He said it is not baiting since I didn't put it there and it's not synthetic. So that's my plan, if I get an elk down I will spend a few days sitting and watching the remains. Have any of you gotten bears doing the same thing?
82ndreddevil

Re: First time buying a bear tag

Postby wawhitey » 07 29, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Careful about taking one fish and game employees word as the final end all answer. Baiting here in washington has been illegal for 20 years now, but there are still some gamies who say a gut pile isnt baiting, and some who say it is and theyll have your ass. Bottom line to me is, elk dont shed guts like antlers. You put that there, its baiting. Either way, its just not worth it. There are way funner ways to hunt bear. Spot n stalk, calling, or a combination of the two.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 82ndreddevil » 07 29, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Interesting point, and I see where your coming from. And in this area a spot and stalk is very practical but how do u call bears? I'm totally ignorant to bear hunting?
82ndreddevil

Postby wawhitey » 07 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Well, this year was the first time i called a bear, so im no expert, but it worked great. I was trying to stalk a big black one but couldnt get close enough, so i hunkered down and started blowing a rabbit distress call. After about 5 min or so i heard a little noise and looked back and a different bear had snuck up behind me. 10 yard shot, slam dunk. Common consensus is bears can and usually will take a lot longer to respond to calls than coyotes. People say if youre cold calling to give it an hour or so without any long breaks in the calling. Check out predatormastersforums.com and youll find quite a bit written on the subject.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 82ndreddevil » 07 30, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the info! I got a rabbit call from back in the days of coyote hunting. Thanks again.
82ndreddevil