Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Some great some good some OK goose hunts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Some great some good some OK goose hunts

Postby Lefty » 01 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Right before Christmas break from school we had a little snow. I also had permission to put a small 2 man goose pit in the field. I only had a few birds to my name this year. Long days in the pit I was getting my birds each day. Then it happened, The craziest flight of desperate geese Iv ever seen. Thousands of geese on every other field. geese decoying into spreads while others were shooting, people and dogs running around. I saw one group hiding in the road ditch with . Decoys 40 yards fro the center line. Geese sleeping on gravel roads. Geese were feeding on the tall grass along my back fenceline. I almost regret not putting decoys on my barn just to see if they would land on the roof.

Conditions have been cold, many sub zero and double digit temps below zero. Some long days until mid afternoon, and some hunts were finished before 9:00. A few guys Ive taken out got their firt goose, or first limit on birds. One day a fellow took one of his sons, two daughters and his wife shot their( two) limits of geese and watched other groups do the same. tonight he told me his young daughters are now " goose hunters".
Tomarrow Im taking out a fellow archery hunter who has never killed a goose. Should be lively conversation in the pit. Today a neighbor to the field I hunt had a record of -22.9 f , I was done hunting before it was -10
A friend and his son. The son killed on each of his four shots, Dad and I need 5 shots
IMG_2897 (Small).jpg
IMG_2897 (Small).jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

This was soppose to be a pic of my dog retrieving a goose somewhere around -18
20170106_104747 (Small).jpg

A view from the pit
20161230_090738 (Small).jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Some great some good some OK goose hunts

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 08, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Oh man, this is killing me! I haven't hunted geese since I left Montana for Texas. It sounds like you guys hit the jackpot with this big cold front! Thanks for the pictures and recap.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I had all Christmas breck, hunted nearly every day and have had 3 school day closures, I hunted alone a few days, most days had someone else in the blind, and 5 hunts with three in the pit.14 straight hunts of 4 bird limits. Some real crazy bird flights. Last Thursday and Friday -23 and -20 nobody wanted to hunt with me :o Every bird that came onto the field came to the spread, low and slow feet down. Easy close shooting. Not many fast hunts

It was about time those Montana birds showed,.. I think we had some of those big eastern Montana / ND birds show for aa few days,.. Not giants just very big geese

20170109_113639 swans (Small).jpg

Just to make you miss it even more: Most of our birds were dead on the ground under 25 yards
This was a 14 shot 12 bird limit, One bird was double tapped. And I wadded a goose that after it came too we let it fly off
Resized_20161228_120446.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Hot Cow » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

That would be alot of yummy goose on the bbq in my house.. Sooo jealous.
Hot Cow

First Name: Tim