Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Begining or end of hunting seasons?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Begining or end of hunting seasons?

Postby Lefty » 01 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Friday was what my wife calls the end of hunting season,..well the end of waterfowl season anyway,... Im sure she is correct. 8-) The next three weeks Ill be ice fishing or looking for coyotes.
Monday school was canceled, I sat in the blind not a goose in the sky. Tuesday I used a leave day, not a bird to call too.I figured my season was over. I started packaging gear to put away for the season.
Thursday I sat until dark on a field that had more 4x4 mulies on it than geese. Well no reason to miss work Friday morning.
Friday after work I stopped at the market to buy fresh veggies. On the way home I made the circuit around the section of land I live within. Glassing the field adjacent to my place there were a lot of geese on the field.
I made supper, then decided to walk out and watch the geese. I realized geese seemed to be near the fence line blown in with snow. Hm this could be a workable stalk.
I walked back to the house, put on winter boots, Snow camo sweatshirt and face mask. Shotgun and a pocket of shot shells. Slipped the dogs leash to my hip and hooked up the dog
The last time I jump shot geese was 13 years ago, generally a poor way to get geese.
My plan was to shoot only if the geese were close, under 30 yards. the crunchy snow I had low expectations of getting near the birds.
60 yards to the fence line I could hear geese feeding and making all sorts of noise. I slowed down, worked my way onto the snow drift and stood upright, 200 goose in a tight group were fully alert. the nearest goose6-7 yards away.
My thought, "there isnt a good shot"too many geese, too close. I swung to the furthest goose down the fence line as the furthest geese began jumping up. I shot at three clear birds, each time I pulled the trigger a goose dropped. "A nice triple" all three geese just yards from the fence,..
I really dont know how it happened I cant put any logic to it, but, there was a 4th goose belly up 10 yards in front of me .

20170113_165932 last day (Small).jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Begining or end of hunting seasons?

Postby Buckman » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

That's where i'm at now Lefty Goose and predators are still in but can't get into the goose mode lost my best dog to cancer last march so has taken a lot out of me but hopefully i'll be ready to go come spring with my new dog.Looks like you did good with the shooting.nice quad.
Buckman

Re: Begining or end of hunting seasons?

Postby Buckman » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 3]

20160307_170803 (2).jpg
Spring 2016 NY goose hunt last one with my young blk lab
20160307_170803 (2).jpg (361.67 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Buckman