Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Turkey Hunting, What's the Draw?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Turkey Hunting, What's the Draw?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 24, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Gotta ask you guys, what's the big excitement with hunting turkeys? Not trying to be facetious or be flippant, but I honestly don't understand the big draw? Granted, I've never hunted those big birds but what is all the excitement about... I mean, after all its just a big bird, yes? Maybe after I hear what draws you guys and captivates your interest to hunting wild turkeys, I may understand. Thanks.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Turkey Hunting, What's the Draw?

Postby six » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 2]

For starters it gets me in the woods during the off season. It’s been 4 months since I’ve hunted deer. It will be 119 days before I hunt elk. My group try’s to get together at least once for an overnighter during turkey season. We do a little hunting, little stump shooting, and test gear we just had to buy while cabin fever was setting in.

The people that say they aren’t very smart have never put on camo and tried to get within 30 yards of mature tom.

When they’re close and gobble at you, you can feel it. Something most elk hunters can identify with.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Brendan » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I just went for the first time this past weekend, and I think there's a lot of similarities to Elk hunting. They can be very vocal, respond to calling, come charging right in, or "hang up" just like a bull. They can be completely quiet, or just talk very softly that can only be heard within 30-40 yards. Calling can either be by mechanical calls, or mouth reeds. There are tons of different vocalizations to understand, learn and take advantage of. Unlike Elk, their eyes are better than a human's so your setup also needs to prioritize staying hidden from view and not moving until the last second if possible. And - you can hunt them in the spring, and when you kill one, put it over your shoulder and just walk back to the truck!

Never having done it before, I really enjoyed it and have found myself wanting to learn to call them better. I guess it helps that I called in and killed a very vocal (and suicidal ;) ) Jake...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby cohunter14 » 04 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Brendan wrote:I just went for the first time this past weekend, and I think there's a lot of similarities to Elk hunting. They can be very vocal, respond to calling, come charging right in, or "hang up" just like a bull. They can be completely quiet, or just talk very softly that can only be heard within 30-40 yards. Calling can either be by mechanical calls, or mouth reeds. There are tons of different vocalizations to understand, learn and take advantage of. Unlike Elk, their eyes are better than a human's so your setup also needs to prioritize staying hidden from view and not moving until the last second if possible. And - you can hunt them in the spring, and when you kill one, put it over your shoulder and just walk back to the truck!

x2, especially if you hunt mountain birds. I took up archery hunting last year and this has to be the best prep out there for elk hunting. I could have blasted multiple toms at this point with a shotgun but a bow changes things a lot! I also agree with Six: it's a chance to get out hunting, camping, and trying out the gear.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby lamrith » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

For those that do it, are there different seasons for gun/bow?

I will be honest after stories I have read and videos I have seen already this year, I am not keen on being out in woods during firearms season the way some people are. Specially given you need to be all camo'd up and hidden...

That said I would still like to try it at some point.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby llewokj » 04 30, 2017 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Gotta ask you guys, what's the big excitement with hunting turkeys? Not trying to be facetious or be flippant, but I honestly don't understand the big draw? Granted, I've never hunted those big birds but what is all the excitement about... I mean, after all its just a big bird, yes? Maybe after I hear what draws you guys and captivates your interest to hunting wild turkeys, I may understand. Thanks.. RJ

4 years to get a Tom - spot and stalk in Colorado! Cagey birds, great fun, no easy hunt.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170501/6596034f807efc39a30124eeab4bda3f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby six » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

lamrith wrote:For those that do it, are there different seasons for gun/bow?

I will be honest after stories I have read and videos I have seen already this year, I am not keen on being out in woods during firearms season the way some people are. Specially given you need to be all camo'd up and hidden...

That said I would still like to try it at some point.

I can only speak for Michigan. Turkey season is weapon of choice. I only hunt private land for that reason.
My grandpa never hunted Turkeys or wore camo for that matter. He had a saying when he would here about a hunting accident. "I never saw a person that looked like a deer".
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool