Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow hunting for a wolf

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow hunting for a wolf

Postby Lonnie » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ok has any one bow hunted wolf in Idaho. I'm looking to get some suggestions on the methods you used to call them in to range.
Lonnie

Re: Bow hunting for a wolf

Postby Brendan » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Brian Call (Gritty Bowmen) shot one with his bow last year. He was calling Elk when they came in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRBUiwVjUR1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKg1ghGA5Lr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKgyx1AgPuO/

Side benefit - you may call in some Elk too!
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby ishy » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

There was a great write up in the Full Draw Tour pamphlet last year of a Montana guy not only calling one in, but taking it with traditional gear! I have made a couple feeble attempts, but get more anxious every year to get serious about it. I have gotten responses, but have yet to see one. Talking to some of the Foundation for Wildlife management (foundationforwildlifemanagement.org) it sounds like you can call them in, but in most instances you need to just locate them and move in on them. They will call back, but most times they aren't going to run over to check you out. So pretty similar to most elk in OTC units, you really need to get close to make things happen.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby wawhitey » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Never hunted wolf. Seen some, couldve killed them, but im in wa, so thats a no go. I have called in some predators though. Im thinking that if you want to call one and bow kill it, youd need a 2 man team. Once a wolf gets into bow range, if its focusing on you as the source of the noise, i think it would turn inside out and disappear the second you start to draw your bow. Might be a hell of a lot easier with a rifle or shotgun, or even a good revolver.

If you live in idaho and know good wolf areas, and ever want a caller in late fall/ early winter, holler at me. If im at home and dont have any pressing business id love to try calling one in. I have a couple different wolf howlers, a few coyote howlers, and a kind of embarrassing collection of distress calls. Id love to try calling a wolf or 5 in. Idaho panhandle is just a hop skip and jump away for me.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Bow hunting for a wolf

Postby wolfkiller » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

We got this one last year, whole pack was surrounding us, I was back about 50 yards cow calling and buddy hammered this nice male at 22 yards.

WolfK1.jpg
WolfK1.jpg (267.77 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

WolfK2.jpg
WolfK2.jpg (327.92 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
wolfkiller

First Name: Trevor
Last Name: A

Postby Indian Summer » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I've killed wolves but never with my bow. I've called them in to 10 yards with simple cow and calf calls. Came in on a string!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ishy » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Grew up calling coyotes, so this is one I can't wait to happen. I figure it will with the area I hunt. My best chance was in '09 and of course it was the year Idaho closed the season with everything being held up in courts. We were surrounded by a ton and my poor brother was about to wet himself and I only had a bow in hand. I wanted to call and he was a tad freaked out. He gets a little nervous after I killed a lion that was stalking us during a previous elk season. We've heard a few since, but nothing like that day. Had to be a minimum of 15 dogs.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L