Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

preditor call for bears?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

preditor call for bears?

Postby fwilkin » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

New to area. Anyone use a call to fill a bear tag? Is this a draw or otc tag in N Idaho?
fwilkin

Re: preditor call for bears?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 2]

OTC bear tags where you're at, and trust me, there is a very good bear population up thataway ;). I've heard of folks using predator calls for bear for sure and you may get the benefit of calling in a cougar, wolf, bobcat, etc. (obviously open season dependent). I think most bears are taken via spot and stalk and baiting (legal there) but the predator calling method sure sounds like fun! If you haven't yet, make sure you grab the IDFG regs from a local sports shop and start digging around on their webpage. IDFG has a nice hunt planning feature on the page that will help you out as you start researching different types of hunts in your new area.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 10 23, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Baiting is only legal in certain units actually. Unit 1 for example is no bait, no e-callers, no hounds.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I called in 2 nice bears to lion vocals this spring, calling for lions. I will draw a spring bear tag this year, and during April, I will be mainly targeting cats, but how it seemed this spring, it will not surprise me to fill my tag calling for lions.
Roosiebull