Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Yotes and a bear. Interesting day.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Yotes and a bear. Interesting day.

Postby wawhitey » 11 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So after getting very frustrated trying to glass in thick fog, yesterday i decided i may as well head down to some thick timber to do some rattling. Cant see 100 yards anyway. So i got into the timber about noon. Foggy, wet, snow melted off... soft ground, wasnt making hardly a sound creeping through the woods, perfect conditions for still hunting. About 2 hours in im creeping through the timber looking for a good place to rattle. I see something move through the fog. Somewhere around 70 yards or so out. My first thought was rabbit? Hard to judge distance in heavy fog so size can be hard to determine. Nope, thats not moving like a rabbit. Thats a yote. Put my scope on him, dropped him with a standing freehand shot. Then i see another about 20 yards from him. Missed that one and it took off. Okay, coyote down...
So i decided to leave it laying on a patch of snow for an hour to let fleas etc jump off. Figured i may as well just keep sneaking through the woods, then come back in a while to retrieve the dog. I get about 100 yards from my yote carcass and catch movement out of the corner of my eye. WOAH! Big old bear, about 10ft from me! Wtf?! Hes just stink eyeing me, not making a sound. Puts his head down and rips a big old strip of flesh off a (deer?) carcass thats obscured by brush. Id have to walk up to within about 3 or 4 feet of the bear to see exactly what it was, and i just wasnt feeling curious enough to try that. I started talking to the bear (with my .357 cocked and aimed at his head) hoping hed back off. Nope. He was hungry, and wasnt about to let me ruin his dinner. I stayed right where i was for a while, in spitting distance of this very healthy sized boar, talking, telling him to beat it. I just got more stink eye, more flesh ripping. Screw it, i started walking backward, gun still on him, until i was out of sight, then i went and collected my yote and bailed. Pretty dang late for a bear to be out and about here. Bear season ended on the 15th unfortunately. Sure didnt expect that. My thought is that the yotes killed a deer, the bear took it from them, and i just happened to show up right then. Man, this is the 4th time this year that ive been within 20 yards of a bear, talking / yelling at them, and they wouldnt run. And everybody says bears are SO afraid of people. Right...
Anyway, just an interesting afternoon deer hunting that i thought id share .
Attachments
20171122_134305-800x600.jpg
20171122_134305-800x600.jpg (222.38 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Yotes and a bear. Interesting day.

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

good stuff!

A good colored coyote for your country
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Yotes and a bear. Interesting day.

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lefty wrote:good stuff!

A good colored coyote for your country

He has a great prime winter coat. Im actually getting a rug done with him. Too pretty of a hide to let it go to waste. I figure itll be like a bear rug, but tiny.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey