Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Squirrel hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Squirrel hunting?

Postby pointysticks » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

i want to try it.

never been. i think a backpack trip to chase squirrels would be a cool change of pace.

CA seems out, since i will be subjected to brutal weather. what about Oregon?

i am thinking of hiking Mogollon Rim in AZ already. seems beautiful there and they have that GIANT gray squirrel there.
any tips for a place to check out Squirrels in OR. i dont know that state much. the drive seems shorter.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: Tree Squirrel hunting?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

pointysticks wrote: any tips for a place to check out Squirrels in OR. i dont know that state much. the drive seems shorter.

Swede? Roosiebull?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Tree squirrel hunting is one thing I miss from Minnesota. Running a trap line I shot lots of telephone pole squirrels, generally what we call fox squirrels.
When I was 13 I had a neighbor that was really into shooting. He had his gunsmith tap my 10/22 and I put on a real rifle scope , 1971 The rifle was $39.00 the Redfield Widefield 2-7 cost me nearly five times that.
Squirrels were my game.

When I was 19 I was in deer camp with my dad. I was shooting a Remington carbine .308. I came across a tree full of squirrels in north central Mn. I didn't think grays were that far north. first shot I was low( scope rise ) the following 6 shots put a .30 hole through 6 squirrel. Entering camp some southern gentle man cam e running out of their camper, all excited ( except he didnt like head shots, they liked the brains. I traded two cleaned grouse for 6 squrril,..

Another story we stopped to gain permission to pheasant hunt on an Iowa farm. The elderly lady asked if we would shoot her a couple squirrels,.. I quickly complied. I dropped two squirrels as we chatted on the front porch. I started to cleaned them the way were were taught in Hunter education. "No No' the old gal grabbed my pocket knife and showed me the correct way to clean them,.. She said to hunt her place any time, but she would like two fresh squirrels
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

LEFTY..awesome stuff!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

A trapline/squirrel story, or two.
I had this little " rat" dog 10lbs when soaking wet. An incredible hunter. If I pointed to a telephone pole she run to the other side, the squirrel would scoot around to my side. I would shoot, the dog backed up to lettt the squirrel drop then do her best to drag it to the truck .
There was a little couple mile long dead end section line road separating South Dakota and Minnesota Two days in a row I dropped a squirrel as close to dead center on the states border

Most guys are too young to see these. but picked corn cribs out on there own ( with corn in them) were great places to add a few squirrels.
And black squirrels were real trophies. Ive shot two. I hunted one for weeks before I killed it. The other my then fiance was along, dropped the squirrels off at my brother house,,, the mounted squirrel was a wedding gift from brother.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H