Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Weather relatde canceled hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Weather relatde canceled hunt

Postby saddlesore » 10 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I was suppose to go on a short whitetail ML hunt this weekend out in eastern CO.Earlier in the week we had fog/rain/snow for three days that turned those roads into nasty mud. Saturday was fine, but another front moved in and it snowed all day today and never got above 12 degrees here at home and the wind blew all day.

Friday I canceled.I din't want to gt the truck bogged down in mud and stuck. I sure didn't want to hut in that temperature and I sure didn't want to drive150 miles in a 60-70 MPH blizzard for 50 pounds of meat. As I get older,there is less torture I want to put myself thru in order to have fun.
I leave for a rifle elk hunt this coming Wednesday.Hopefully the weather gods will smile kindly on me.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Weather relatde canceled hunt

Postby Tigger » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

"As I get older,there is less torture I want to put myself thru in order to have fun."

I love that sentence. Isn't it funny how we forget about the torture with time but remember the fun parts of a hunt? But as we age, we start thinking more and more about the work to benefit and torture to fun ratios.

Sorry to hear about your canceled hunt and I hope you have good weather on the elk hunt!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good luck on your elk hunt. I hope you do well. Keep us posted.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I was suppose to go on a short whitetail ML hunt this weekend out in eastern CO.Earlier in the week we had fog/rain/snow for three days that turned those roads into nasty mud. Saturday was fine, but another front moved in and it snowed all day today and never got above 12 degrees here at home and the wind blew all day.

Friday I canceled.I din't want to gt the truck bogged down in mud and stuck. I sure didn't want to hut in that temperature and I sure didn't want to drive150 miles in a 60-70 MPH blizzard for 50 pounds of meat. As I get older,there is less torture I want to put myself thru in order to have fun.
I leave for a rifle elk hunt this coming Wednesday.Hopefully the weather gods will smile kindly on me.
i don't blame you, those roads can take the fun out of it. last year this time of year I went over east to my sister in laws house to go hang out, help my brother in law build some fence and go call coyotes.

one night it snowed all night, then thawed and turned to rain, we went up into the mountains to go call coyotes and got into the slickest mud I have ever been in, one of those things where we thought it was just a bad section of road, and as we went down in elevation, it just got worse.

I had a winch on that pickup, but it was all sage :lol: it was kind of a stressful morning, we were way up in the hills, and we just got lucky I was able to keep chugging along, I tried turning up a road going back uphill, going slow in 4WD of course, turned the wheel, gave it some gas, and just kept going straight down the road I was on, haha. finally got turned around and made it up that road, it was dicey for a bit, but actually it got better, being a steeper road, it had some rock on it. those parallel roads going straight were the worst.

that would have been no fun at all by myself, would have increased the stress, and if we were on a deer hunt, it would have taken some of the fun out of the hunt. I had that nasty desert mud falling out from under my pickup for months after that :D

I hope the weather cooperates for you on this hunt!
Roosiebull