Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Teaser alert! Pronghorn! and now story!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Teaser alert! Pronghorn! and now story!

Postby Tigger » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have been on a plane all day but they haven’t shut the door yet so I am sneaking in this post. My daughter, my dad and I left last Wednesday for a pronghorn Hunt in Wyoming. That country is so unique and beautiful! The results ? Well we.... oops got to shut off the phone. At a work conference all week.....
Tigger

Re: Teaser alert! Pronghorn!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Foul! One Wapiti Talk demerit for taunting mister 8-). Anxious to hear about your hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Well we arrived and talked to the rancher where we hunt. He let us park our enclosed trailer down a little trail on his property for a place to camp. We decided to go to the little bar about 20 miles away for supper where my daughter learned how to throw $1 Bill at the ceiling and get them to stick with a tack. My wife was so happy that she learned how to do that! Not.

The next morning dawned clear and calm. It was a beautiful sunrise and we started out at the same spot I shot my buck last year. We soon saw.........to be continued.
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Good deal. Ready for the story.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Tigger » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

We soon saw.....2 bucks out on a flat. One was...a good buck but nothing special. The other was smaller but had one horn going back in typical pronghorn fashion. the other went forward making a goofy looking thing. Right away, the daughter liked the normal buck, but we decided to keep looking as they were hard to hunt in that location. We found another little buck in an adjoining flat and decided to drive by him on a prairie trail and look in the next valley. As we rounded a little hill, we saw a really nice buck. We continued on and found nothing in the valley so we crawled up a hill to try and see the buck. I found him and decided he was a big buck. I would estimate 75 to 80 inches. I could have killed him at 275 yards, but wanted my daughter to get the first shot and her pick of bucks. 275 was too much for her and I didn't like that we would roughly be shooting back toward the ranch house (which was a long ways away, but we just didn't think it was safe). So, we drove back the way we came. Now you might think this is goofy driving by these bucks, but they were working on wells and there were trucks driving by frequently and the antelope had no reaction. Felt wrong, but it worked. The daughter and I then snuck up a hill that would give her a 150 yard or less shot. We had knee pads on to combat the cactus and after belly crawling very carefully, peaked our head over the hill to see......
Tigger

Re: Teaser alert! Pronghorn! and now story!

Postby Tigger » 10 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

peaked over the hill to see......does and a little buck. The big one was no where in sight. Looked all over but couldn't find him. Now what?

Sorry guys, gotta get back to work.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Tigger, you are a pain in the butt. Keep us posted. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

so we spent some time driving a pair of binoculars trying to find him. No dice. He disappeared. At this time, it was getting hot and I was getting hungry, so we decided to go back to camp for lunch.

Lunch completed (my dad's excellent chili for those who are wondering----yes, we are all 3 sleeping in an enclosed trailer :shock:), we went back in to the area and started glassing. Soon, my dad said, I think I see some way out there. Sure enough, after I put the spotter on them, I see about 8 does and a nice buck (from about a mile and a half). It will be tricky to get on them as we have to go out of site for a long time and pick the right ravine to go up. An hour later, my daughter and I are belly crawling through cow pies at the top of a ravine and s-l-o-w-l-y peak our heads up to see.....to be continued!
Tigger

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

we peaked over the edge and there was the small herd! They were feeding, but were 407 yards away. Too far. Looked at my OnX map and found a better drainage. Snuck down the one, over a few hundred yards and up another one. As we got to the top and started belly crawling, I noticed we had traded cow pies for cactuses. We peak over the edge...and there they were, 125 yards away! My daughter gets set up and I whisper, "shoot whenever you are read..." BOOM! The buck drops in his tracks and we are all smiles. However, all of a sudden, I see a buck pop up out of another nearby ravine. Pretty nice one too. But I decide to pass as he is just not quite big enough. Then another buck out of the same ravine...but he is really small. Then, yet ANOTHER buck! And he is big enough. But he is behind some fencing and I have to move as the top of my ravine is blocking him. I half walk, half crawl, and half belly crawl (yeah, I know, that is 3 halves but it was intense!) through the cactuses and set up on top. He is in the open quartering at me. I pull the trigger and he goes straight down. Two nice bucks in about a minute! They fell about 100 yards apart. High fives and lots of smiles. The sun was going down and we quartered them up. It was a beautiful evening, nice and calm and just cool.
Attachments
2018 Pronghorns resized.jpg
2018 Pronghorns resized.jpg (293.62 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Definitely nice bucks. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

A daughter that hunts, and will stay in the trailer with you after a chili dinner is special. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Awesome! Great hunt and writeup bud.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 27, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Tigger, It is great to see how you deal with safety. Obviously you are teaching your daughter well. It is perfect to see two open breaches with the bolts in the rear, for your picture.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Swede, thanks for noticing. My dad repositioned one of the rifles and turned it so you couldn't see the open action. I turned it back. I notice those things too on pictures.
Tigger

Postby lamrith » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Man sounds like a great hunt, and you guys did well! Congrats!
I have seen a ton of Antelope posts this fall on all the different boards and forums and FB. I am gonna have to look into it for next year.

Was it hard to draw tags for?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 15]

it was not as it was a unit with difficult public access. it was undersubscribed, meaning more tags than applicants.
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 16]

great picture. And congratulations on a great hunt. Hoping I get to hunt with my daughter like that one day. Great memories for sure
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lefty » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Antelope were the best family hunts ever! My daughters and I have spend a lot of time together chasing them.

Tigger wrote:,,,, the little bar about 20 miles away,,,,,.

Those little bars in Wyoming have destroyed many lives ( look at Indian Summer and all his associates :lol: )

Your wife should be furious :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H