Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fight! Fight!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fight! Fight!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 10, 2018 •  [Post 1]

This battle must have been epic, wish I coulda seen it. Probably covered around 35X15 yards total, up/down, and on both sides of this gated road. From the sign, looks like there was some mutual pushing/shoving going on with one of the boys being body slammed at one point. With all the markings, I believe the duration of this contest was quite long. Figured you Blacktail (or deer in general) buffs would enjoy the pic ;).

C3523305-0703-4AC8-84C5-B554A6F97EDC.jpeg
C3523305-0703-4AC8-84C5-B554A6F97EDC.jpeg (216.3 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Fight! Fight!

Postby Jesse208 » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 2]

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesse208

Postby wawhitey » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Right at the end of the day today, i heard a deer kinda tearing up the woods, making a racket, about maybe 50-70 yards from me. Thought he was coming in. Then i heard some more crashing near him. Then a sudden violent crashing of antlers that only lasted a second or two, followed immediately by a quick glimpse of one buck running the other off through the dark timber. Very short fight, but they werent playing around. I have a hunch the winner was likely the big boy im hunting, but couldnt get a good look.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The only 2 buck that I have ever watch fighting was from a treestand in Iowa. To my surprise both buck were 2 1/2 year old 8 pointers. If you have ever tried rattling before you can not make enough noise to simulate a fight. It was super fun to watch at 20 yards.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Good Picture RJ. I wonder why they scratched the #3 in the gravel? ;)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Good Picture RJ. I wonder why they scratched the #3 in the gravel? ;)

Not quite sure.... some kind of warning against 3-point or lesser bucks? ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 11 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

blacktail play for keeps!

I walked up on 2 big 3 pts one morning (before late archery season) and was just scouting and checking for elk sign for a buddy (rifle elk was going on) I got the crap scared out of me, it was early and still pretty dark in the 25ish yr old fir reprod, when I heard a sound for the first time... a snort wheeze.

I took a couple more steps to see what the noise was, and there is a big blacktail buck facing me, and a mohawk of hair standing up down his whole back, this was a first for me! he was maybe 15 yds, and with a few slow but stiff legged steps, he closed the distance to around 10 yds, every time he exhaled was a mucousy wheeze, it was crazy!

after a second I spot another large buck just beyond the one in front of me. I got genuinely concerned, this buck was mad at me, and obviously meant business. I was relieved when the wind switched and he realized what he was, but even that, he didn't show much concern, he turned and walked off hackled up with a stiff legged walk, still wheezing every exhale, the other buck went away from him a little quicker, but still not fast.

after the smoke cleared and I sat there and processed what just took place I decided to leave them be, and I had only taken a few steps when I saw "the ring" where they had obviously had an epic battle, the ground was just tore up in about a 20ft circle, not a piece of undisturbed ground, it was wild.

I have seen lots of fight sites over the years, but none that compared to that... your pic reminded me of that, makes you wonder what it looked like in real time :shock:
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I havent seen good fight in years
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Couple dink whitetail bucks were going at it hard yesterday in front of my stand. One came in posturing and snort wheezing, then battle royale ensued. They werent messing around.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey