Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whitetail rut action

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whitetail rut action

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So this afternoon i moved to a different stand, and right away here comes a big bad 7x6. He was hanging up in the brush about 70 yards out, acting pretty weird. I tried the doe bleat can, he wasnt having it. After a while i grunted, he couldnt care less. A while later he pushes a doe out. For the next 3 hours i watched him bird dogging her, head down sniffing, mostly staying between 20-40 yards or so away from her, shadowing her, while occasionally running at her and chasing a short ways. I watched him make 3 scrapes during this time. Stand was on the edge of more mature timber, semi open, so i could see pretty well. They spent a couple hours doing this in front of me within 70-100 yards. About 45 min before dark, the doe started walking straight towards me, buck in tow about 20 yards behind. I thought it was happening, but when she got about 40 yards from me she turned 90° and went up the hill into the thick stuff and took the buck with her. Man, so close but so far. Im not about to launch an arrow 60 yards at a deer. 5 days of hunting this season , 30 remaining, and ive already laid eyes on the 2 best bucks i have on cam up here, but no good shot opportunities presented themselves yet.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Whitetail rut action

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Just continue waiting and watching. It will happen. Are you able to stay warm enough now?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Well i didnt notice the cold while i was watching that buck! Took my mind off it quite well. That, and moving stands mid day helped a lot. 3/4 mile walk to warm me up, plus a pit stop at my truck for more hand warmers, a hot cup of tea, and a paleo to go meal had me in good shape to sit still for the last few hours. Tomorrow may be rough. Looks like ill have the perfect wind to sit my northernmost stand all day, which is where i want to be, but the wind hasnt been cooperating. Its the stand my #1 buck passed under me at 5 yards opening morning, the 10th. Havent been able to hunt it since. Going to try to tough it out, do an all dayer.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Man, really glad you’re season is shaking out so well. Keeping my fingers crossed you connect with one of those dandy bucks!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ