Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2018 Rifle Success for youngest son

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2018 Rifle Success for youngest son

Postby Old school » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Levis 2018 rifle deer.png
Levis 2018 rifle deer.png (602.51 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Been a flurry of activity around our place the past week. My oldest son accidently discharged his Glock 9mm while cleaning it Sunday afternoon and by the grace of God the FMJ passed through his leg without damaging arteries, veins or tendons. He suffered a non displaced fracture of the tibial plateau. Laymans terms he fractured the top of the tibia where it joins the knee joint. Arthroscopic surgery Monday morning went well and he is recovering - keeps saying over and over, I knew better and I was so stupid. No doubt a life lesson learned without any major consequences... So we've been dealing with that Sun-Tue, then my oldest daughter and her husband are expecting in a month - had baby complications Wed and was in the ER till Thr morning while their 17 month old got a nasty virus requiring IV meds, etc... been a long week - I was supposed to take my youngest son up to central MO to rifle hunt Thr-Sat but with all the excitement there was no way that was happening. I took him out around here (not a big buck area or even a good area for that matter). I sat in the truck resting and thanking The Lord for His goodness to me and my family this past week. About an hour into the hunt I heard Levi shoot and texted him if that was him and if he needed help - he responded "come quick, I just shot one". Here's the picture of his buck. Nice ending to a blessed week.

--Mitch
Old school

Re: 2018 Rifle Success for youngest son

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Congratulations to your son an a very nice 10 point buck. It is very symmetrical which is a nice bonus.
It sound like you had about all of the excitement you could handle, and are blessed for it. Thankfully your son will recover fully. I will pray your daughter is able to carry her baby full term. Keep us posted.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Swede, appreciate your prayers. Directly behind the buck, just past the first big tree is his tree with the climber in it. Picture isn’t real clear, but you can see it. That’s the terrain and cover he was in and not even 10’ up. The deer are back in that scrub brush following a trail that parallels the dry creek bed back there. Perhaps that’s why we have success even at such low heights. Directionally speaking the deer aren’t coming right at us, we are crosswind and off to the side of them.

One of these years we will hook up out west and you can teach me some about placement of elk stands.
-Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Holy cripes Mitch, what a week for you and your family! I'll also keep your family (son, daughter/son-in-law daughter in my prayers) as you go through these challenging times. Sure glad your son's accident turned out as good as it possibly could have.... wow. And congrats to you youngest on a beaut of a buck.... really nice! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I can see his stand. It looks like he could just about forget the ladder part and just step out and onto the ground. As emotionally high as your son was, I suppose he could just about float out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

That's awesome.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Mitch
You have been the wrong kind of "too busy". I ll kep you in my prayers this week.

Nice looking buck!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H