Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

White taildeer study

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

White taildeer study

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I'm guessing some of us already knew much of this information.
So sweet no more napping in the tree stand in the middle of the day.

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/outdoors/10-year-pennsylvania-deer-study-shakes-up-what-hunters-thought-they-knew-column/article_833aa0d8-06eb-11ee-952e-8b9e8519a8d8.html
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: White taildeer study

Postby Jhg » 06 13, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Elk too. I see the biggest bulls mid-day by far. There are always several hunt camp set ups near my area and those dudes are generally back in camp by 10:30-11. For example, after one epic "almost" encounter at around 11:30, I hiked to another spot. Doing so was fastest if I walked the road past these camps. Yep, everyone sitting around, wondering where the elk were.
Well, I just stalked a nice bull just 30 minutes ago right down there while you guys were getting back into camp from the "morning" hunt.
Jhg

Re: White taildeer study

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2023 •  [Post 3]

The study referenced in the article is consistent with other studies that have been published. I hesitate to extrapolate too far when discussing other species like Mule deer and elk. I too have see elk out feeding in the middle of a hot day. They seem to consistently go to their bedding area in the late morning. They get up and move around and will go to water in the middle of the day. Just like you and I, when it is hot and dry they need more water.
I have no issue with people going out before dawn to get to their hunting spot. I don't. I can't see all that well and do not like to walk in the forest when it is dark. I am prone to stumbling over things I cannot see, so I wait for daylight.
My idea is to hunt as long as you can as well as you can. You won't likely get deer or elk sleeping in your bag. Does the study referenced stand the idea we should not push elk out of their beds on its head? I don't think so. I will still try to get to my tree stand, near water and the bedding area, early enough to beat the elk there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics