Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

leftover mulie tags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

leftover mulie tags

Postby bnsafe » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

is it possible to get a leftover mulie tag in co. even if its a doe. im not askin for a unit even, only if its possible
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: leftover mulie tags

Postby cnelk » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Yes it is possible.
Only for doe tho
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby otcWill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

cnelk wrote:Yes it is possible.
Only for doe tho

Actually there are a handful of leftovers every year after the draw including buck tags, doe tags and even some either sex tags. In your CO big game brochure, anything that has an * next to it was left over after the draw. On your app you can check a box that says send me the leftover list if I don't draw and this will give you the first shot at any leftovers that are available even before the rest of us (those that have drawn or didn't check that box) get a chance at 'em. For example, unit 29 has leftovers for almost every tag offered each year and usually doesn't even sell out at all.
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

thanks again guys, i have got to kill a mulie, and i dont care if it is a doe. something to look forward to.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

otcwill is all over this.
I havent hunted deer in CO for several years, especially since the DOW did their CWD slaughter a few years ago on the front range.
But Im sitting on a bunch of Pref Points that I dont know what to do with yet

Good luck hunting mulies!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

otcWill wrote:For example, unit 29 has leftovers for almost every tag offered each year and usually doesn't even sell out at all.

And for good reason! :D I hunted 29 second season this past year and there were still far more people (not just hunters) than deer! However, if I was a better hunter, I would still have gotten a buck. I think the hunt would be ok if they closed some of the 4x4 trails before the season, but there were people all over.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby otcWill » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Hey Vanish, Let me know if you're gonna go again and I'm sure I can help. I don't hunt unit 29 for deer and I do work for Boulder County and thus, I know the unit VERY well. Not a great place to kill a monster, but definitely can be a good opportunity hunt. There is nobody in there at all during archery season.
otcWill

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks Will. We're trying to move to Buena Vista this summer so we will be looking at different units, but I'll let you know if that falls through!
Vanish

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

cnelk I am in the same boat as you! I will have 5 pts this year and not sure what to do, if anything with them this year.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby sreekers » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I think I am going to try Idaho next year. They have had leftovers the last few years and I think that it's possible to find a good buck.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby bnsafe » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

im just hopin for a doe, surely i can find a mulie doe.
bnsafe

Postby Vanish » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

bnsafe wrote:im just hopin for a doe, surely i can find a mulie doe.

Doe tags are usually much harder to come by in CO. They want to keep the does because of the low population of mule deer.

- Edit: well I see above cnelk disagrees with me ... he DOES have more experience than I do...
Vanish

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Look for tags around Kremmling lots of doe tags and some good oprtunity for a meat buck.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby buglmin » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Down here in sw colorado, doe tags are a dime a dozen, but for private land. The does really herd up on the private ranches and get hit by cars on the highway...they need to kill a lot more does down here.
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 15]

i havnt done much research yet for mulies, still lookin at antelope and elk. but being mulies are one of my 5 i want to kill i will work on it prob in july.
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Cant wait for antelope...made contacts with the ranchers again, will make my visit over the pass next month to sign contracts and and start doing the leg work. Got three great friends coming out for antelope and then back over the pass for elk. Will start looking at mule deer land owner vouchers next year on the ranches, was told that the whitetail have showed up in the river bottoms in the San Louis Valley, and that should be a nice lil bonus. I do know of some very big mule deer in the Valley, and it might be time to start concertrating on them instead of the big timberline bucks we usually chase. But I am looking forward to being in the high country soon. Had a F&G guy open up to me last fall bout some basins I need to be checking out, and its on my agenda to do some riding in the area.
buglmin

Postby otcWill » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Sounds like you got a full summer ahead of ya, bulmin! I'm headed out to scout mulies this evening and tmro, can't wait :)
otcWill

Postby buglmin » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 18]

It always gets busy in late July...tell myself every year no more, this year Im hunting for myself, then the phone starts ringing, and soon Im filling dates in again. But the great thing is old friends that I get to spend time with again. Bunch of great guys that are a blast to hunt with.
Im not too worried bout mulies yet, we still have a lot of snow in the high country yet. Plus, we've got a couple of nice bucks already hanging around the house now...
buglmin