Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I have a confession.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I have a confession.....

Postby sreekers » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I love hunting Mule Deer just as much as hunting elk, sometimes maybe more. Anybody else have this battle?

This is why I have to pick what I am hunting, and not waiver back and forth. September starts deer season here, and they have gotten more attention than elk the last couple of seasons during the rut.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Re: I have a confession.....

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I too enjoy a good Mule Deer hunt!!!!!!! BUT, it will never replace a September Elk Hunt! (grin) Gotta love glassing for nice bucks though!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

never done it but i will let ya know. i cant imagine it taken the place of elk though
bnsafe

Postby sreekers » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I didn't think anything could replace hunting elk in the rut, until I realized that I wanted a big buck. Sure enough I love it, its on par with hunting elk. I always manage to see HUGE bulls while deer hunting though.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby buglmin » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I always spend the first week on the archery season here in Colorado chasing mulies...and even when chasing elk, will never pass up a stalk on a decent buck. But my greatest passion is hunting mulies in January in New Mexico or Arizona. With the private land in unit 2 in NM, we get a chance to see and chase some true monsters...we dont see a lot of big bucks in Sept while chasing elk, but every now and then one will slip into a waterhole...my buddies hate a mule deer in the velvet, slim necks and ugly capes, but I love them and always have a tag in my pocket...
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'll admit it too. I prefer mule deer. My attitude might change if I ever get one of those 4 yard encounters with a screaming bull everyone talks about!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby cantgetdrawn » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

As my handle suggests I have been unlucky in the draw. The last two years I decided to start hunting OTC units for elk in CO but have not connected, before that I was unsuccessful for 14 years in a row in the elk draw.

At first I didn't really mind because Deer was OTC here in NM for the first half of that 14 year period and the draws were fairly easy for the other years. It was not until deer tags started getting hard to get that I start hunting OTC elk in CO. If I did not love Muleys so much I would have gone crazy.
cantgetdrawn

Postby Jaquomo » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Equal excitement for me. That's why I hunt elk in September and muleys in November-December. Each has it's unique challenges and thrills. Nothing like calling a big mature muley buck into bow range and killing him with a bow.
Jaquomo