Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2012 Whitetail Euro Mount

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2012 Whitetail Euro Mount

Postby Vanish » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Finally got off my butt and finished cleaning up the skull so I could mount it. He's got a lot of .... character. :D Completely broken off two tines, three other tines broken tips, and that weird inside pointing extra where he broke off the brow tine. The antler bases are also totally lopsided. I was really surprised at just how much bigger this one is than my wife's 10 point from the year before. I'd take a side by side but that would upset her. :D While I've seen plenty of big bucks and mounts, I cannot imagine what a truly big buck would look like in our home. To think there are deer with spreads DOUBLE this one...

Now I need to find a place to put it, because in these shots its hanging where my wife's buck goes! Luckily we're moving in a month to a bigger place.

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Re: 2012 Whitetail Euro Mount

Postby no limits » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

good looking deer and nice job on the mount looks good he must have been quite the warrior
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby LckyTylr » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Looks good. For some reason, I get the feeling that he was a heavy bruiser with his ears back and a bad attitude . . . no?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby wawhitey » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

great looking buck and great looking mount
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I used to think I preferred the full head mount, but after doing a few and seeing others like the ones above, I am becoming partial to the European mount. Nice job on some nice mounts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jaquomo » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Nice job on a pretty buck. Love those old battlers with chipped-up racks. Just put him in a different room from your wife's and she'll never notice the size difference! :)

I'm also very partial to Euros these days. Have five muley Euros, two pronghorn, six big elk - with two others I still need to boil and bleach, and love every one of them. The greatroom in our cabin is sort of turning into a "Euro farm" with some shoulder mounts scattered around for variety.
Jaquomo

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Ryan, very nice job bud! I've never done a euro mount before or had one done but I like the look! Maybe in the future! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Vanish » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks guys!

Our new house unfortunately is missing the high ceilings I wanted for the elk mount, but the deer and pronghorn are going above the fireplace! :D
Vanish

Postby snake » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Good looking mount! I really like that rack, especially with all the character. I have done several euro mounts myself and really like the look of them.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby Bowhunter » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Vanish, What did you use to whiten the skull? I will probably do a euro mount if I get a bull elk this year.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Vanish » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Bowhunter wrote:Vanish, What did you use to whiten the skull? I will probably do a euro mount if I get a bull elk this year.

I've done a couple different things in the past. This one was done with a hydorgen peroxide hair bleaching paste. I don't remember the exact name, but I think it was 04 by volume. It works pretty well, but my preferred method is to put the whole skull in a bag, and fill that bag with the cheap hy-per from walmart or similar and dilute with water. Then just let it sit for a few days. The difficult part there is getting the skull to fit in a small bag. :D
Vanish