Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

rattling antlers for muleys?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

rattling antlers for muleys?

Postby wawhitey » 06 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

seems that people only ever talk about rattling whitetails. i plan on doing a bit of rattling this year in a few spots where whiteys and muleys ranges overlap. curious if anybody here has successfully rattled mule deer in?
wawhitey

Re: rattling antlers for muleys?

Postby buglmin » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

We rattle when we hunt mule deer in January in NM. Along with bleats and grunts, the bucks come in to look for the fight.
With the mule deer rut general in late November to mid December, rattling works!!
buglmin

Re: rattling antlers for muleys?

Postby Jaquomo » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Oh yeah, definitely works, especially right before the rut and as it's kicking off. Does sometimes come too, so you have to be careful.

Two years ago I rattled-in 22 does and four bucks at the same time. The whole herd came running from 300 yards away, and every one of them was in my bow range except the one biggest buck I wanted. Got lots of great photos, though.

Sometimes they come in slowly, taking their sweet time, and other times they come on a string, sometimes running. My hunting partner rattled-in and killed a 181 buck several years ago that ran in so fast he barely had time to turn arouund and get an arrow on the string.
Jaquomo