Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

august 17th!! deer opener. (pic)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

august 17th!! deer opener. (pic)

Postby pointysticks » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

man, i am nervous excited.

for several years, i have found this deer while scouting (or a close relative). my buddy only had the presence of mind to photograph him once. i usually just sit there mouth open, drooling like an idiot..pointing at the deer. i pull the pic up every year around this time for inspiration. sometimes work seems too much..i have stuff to do around the house, money is tight, time is tight..excuses, excuses.

i hike into the Sierra Nevada Mountains. it WAS a secret spot, but i see more and more people. i think folks see us hunter hiking in and tell each other. this might me my last attempt..especially if it is super crowded. the hike in is brutal. my gear is mediocre and i usually end up with a pack that weighs near 60lbs. (Sucks).

i see guys leading mules now. (bummer)

this area is cool because we have to hike thru a national park. we have to get a permit from the park legal dept to gain permission to carry a bow thru. we promise to have unassembled arrows, and our bows hidden in cloth sacks. (pillow case works)..i am making a tyvek one this year.

i have yet to get a deer, but i have come awful close. i wont take uber far shots. here is the type of deer in there. the smart ones usually see us and run for the park. safe and sound. i get there a few days before opener..they seem to know and disappear!!
Attachments
cellphone pics 064.jpg
cellphone pics 064.jpg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
cellphone pics 063.jpg
cellphone pics 063.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: august 17th!! deer opener. (pic)

Postby pointysticks » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

the first year, i hunted the morning..then packed up and left. long day hike out.

i still was wearing camo, face painted. i get near my truck and i hear female laughter. come out of the trees, and screech! there are a bunch of european exchange students..girls in bikinis jumping in a pool of water. british accents. me and jake come out..and they all stop and stare. i think they thought we were mountain ax murderers or something. my buddy, says. "well, helloooooo ladies" more giddy laughter.

i thought i was going to have to leave my friend there while he practice foreign relations. me married, and with zero "game"..lowered head and hiked to my truck. hahaha. the place is fun.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l