Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Timing of CO Mule Deer Rut

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Timing of CO Mule Deer Rut

Postby Vids » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We are hunting the last weekend of second season near Meeker, just curious does anyone know if we will see any rutting action by that point? We are hunting October 24-27. I think we're a week or two early for the peak, but I'm not sure when it really fires up for mule deer. Also, do they pre-rut like whitetails? I would assume they do, but have never heard about that. Any special tactics (rattling, grunting, etc) for that time that you can recommend?
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock

Re: Timing of CO Mule Deer Rut

Postby buglmin » 07 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

You might see a smaller buck trying to act up, but youre almost a month off. Youll really start to see heavy mule deer rutting around Thanksgiving. Thats why the F&G have the seasons set up the way they do, so youre not hunting the mule deer during the rut...
Youre best chance is the same, spot and stalk. Rattling aint going to work at that time of the year...Good luck!
buglmin

Postby Camo » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have hunted mule deer in all of the rifle seasons for several years. Definitely hunt the later rifle seasons. I have hunted the early seasons and have found that the big deer are still up in the mountains. If you are lucky, colder weather will set in and move the deer down and the rut will be starting. I have run across several bucks tending doe late in the last season. I agree that you will have to spot and stalk. However if you can pattern the doe you may get lucky with a buck. One other factor is that when you hunt the last season if you are in an area where there have been a lot of hunters in the 3 previous seasons, the deer will get pretty wary. Early on the deer will stand and look at you, but later they will take off at first sight of a hunter. So try to go where the other hunters have not walked the area to death. You may ask the local DOW officer and he can tell you where the hunters have been and where the deer may now be. For me the later in the year the better.
Camo

First Name: Steve
Last Name: B

Postby Vids » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the input. I'm getting pumped, had to take archery off this year so my first hunt is not for a couple weeks still.
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock