Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A little blacktail luck...finally!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A little blacktail luck...finally!

Postby elkmtngear » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hunted B Zone in Northern California HARD this weekend. Hiked in the Trinities a good 2 miles, saw absolutely nothing legal...100 degree temps, smoke from fires everywhere...nothing was moving. I sat in a tree for 12 hours straight hoping to at least fill a bear tag on Sunday...nothing!

I dropped my Son off at Soccer practice yesterday PM, and decided to take a run out to a public land area just minutes out of Town. Finally spotted a legal buck, he was with a doe and her twin fawns, they were moving into a semi open area. I thought I'd see what they'd do if I tried to approach with the Muley doe decoy.

Well as soon as the doe spotted the decoy she blew! So I planted it, and I blew back as loud as I could (thinking it's a deer's equivalent of a "nervous grunt"...so I answered)

It's stupid, but it worked. The buck immediately came straight at the decoy, and I was able to draw undetected from behind a big oak as he came inside 15 yds and turned broadside.

Unfortunately, I had no clear shot, there were oak limbs in the way. I held for an eternity waiting for him to take a few steps...and I finally flinched a little. The buck caught my movement and took off quartering away. I didn't think, I just reacted...and I heard the unmistakeable sound of a chest hit!

I backed out, picked up my Son, and we came back and found the arrow, it had passed through and went another 15 yds...and it was covered in bright red blood. A short blood trail later we found the buck.

My best buddy helping Dad recover his buck after Soccer practice

The exit wound. I couldn't have hit him better if he were standing still. The Anarchy broadhead was still in perfect shape

All in all, I feel fortunate to take a buck on Public land in B Zone given the conditions. If he was a mature buck, would he have reacted the same? Maybe not. The decoy was designed for late Season rut hunts, but I wanted to try it out on an early Season hunt.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Re: A little blacktail luck...finally!

Postby fm » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Nice job. Any deer in those conditions is a good deer. Now you got some camp meat for elk camp :D
fm

Postby cnelk » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Nice going Jeff!

Now get ready for that Cold Shot #10!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

cnelk wrote:Nice going Jeff!

Now get ready for that Cold Shot #10!

What in the world will you guys come up with this time??? :?
Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby twinkieman » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good going Jeff and congratulations! I think you may be on to something with the deer's version of a nervous grunt. I too will be chasing blacktails in NO. Cal, but I always wait until the second week. Sat. the 24th I will pack into the wilderness as well, and spend 5 days.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby elkmtngear » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

twinkieman wrote:Good going Jeff and congratulations! I think you may be on to something with the deer's version of a nervous grunt. I too will be chasing blacktails in NO. Cal, but I always wait until the second week. Sat. the 24th I will pack into the wilderness as well, and spend 5 days.

Good luck Marc. The temps have dropped a little, I'm hoping that helps with deer movement for you up there. I would love to be able to spend 5 days off my back in that country. I hope you get into some big boys.

I got the idea about "blowing" back at deer from a guy that lives up near Medford, I met him at the 3D Nationals this Year. I started thinking about it, and thought I'd give it a try. Give them a little time, and I think deer will circle around to try to investigate you if you blow back at them. Of course, they will try to get your wind in the process ;)
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Moose Man » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Congrats, sure is tough in the heat!
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby BROKECARPENTER » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Good Job
BROKECARPENTER

First Name: Brent

Postby elkmtngear » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Well my luck didn't hold out, I blew a shot on a ridgetop last weekend in a high wind situation. Several mistakes made, but it was a very cool hunt.

Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor