Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Notes from journal

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Notes from journal

Postby ORelksniper » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hoping that just one hunter can benefit from my stupidity.

Sept 6
I shot a buck tonight. Nice forky. Made a good shot @ 30 yds w/ total pass through. Buck took a couple of steps uphill and then started backing up. He was hit hard so I didnt take a second shot. Should have, though. Good blood full length of arrow. The buck laid down and I watched him for 45 minutes. Head finally went down and I slowly moved in. Darkness was closing in so i thought i should push the situation. I whistled and his head came up, he jumped up and ran side hill. Checked where he had laid and found good blood on ground. Followed the trail and ran out of blood and daylight. I'm sick tonight. Can't believe I may have lost him. Will try and pick up trail at first light. With or without a recovery I'm punching my deer tag. I don't deserve another chance.

Sept 7
Continued tracking at first light. Found a bit more blood and then tracks and blood ran out. Swept area in expanding arcs while listening for yellow jackets and watching for bird activity. Turned up nothing and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself for using poor judgement. I made rookie mistakes, and for someone that has fifty years of hunting experience, that's unacceptable. Lessons learned: if the animal gives you a good follow up shot, take it. Even if the animal looks like it's going down, take the shot. Lesson 2: if the wounded animal is lying down do not push it even if darkness is approaching. If you jump the animal you will most likely loose it. Darkness and a wounded animal are always a concern. Can't track in the dark and I hate to leave for fear of coyotes. As it turned out, the yotes probably got him anyway. My tag is punched for this year.
ORelksniper

Re: Notes from journal

Postby mtnmutt » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for having the courage to share your story. Helps us all to hear your story. I am sure it hurts a lot. Sorry to hear you lost that buck.
mtnmutt

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Sniper, so sorry to hear about your lost buck and the ensuing guilt that a lot of us have felt in similar situations. I hear this story quite a bit from others. It still surprises me how they can be so close to passing, yet spring up with renewed vigor and book it for distances unknown. Thank you for sharing and reminding us all the importance of giving an animal time and/or following up the shot.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Sniper, now I can join the "I feel like s*#@" club. :(
Washington Wapiti

Postby ORelksniper » 09 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Washington, I'm sorry to hear that. Truly sucks.
ORelksniper

Postby ORelksniper » 09 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

By the way, Washington, I like the looks of your bull. You have the success memories to hang onto while you deal with the s#%t feelings.
ORelksniper

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Hey, thanks man! You know, I was fully expecting to get a cow on that hunt, which I would've still been excited about. All summer long, and right up to opening day I had mostly nothing but cows and calves on my cam. A couple of those 'ol girls, were recurring too. One smaller 5x5 (rack size, but good body size) showed up a couple weeks before opening, but that was it. I knew something would be coming down the trail if I just put in my time waiting. I could have never guessed that awesome guy would've been it though. In the 5 seasons hunting that spot, we've never seen him in-person or got him on camera. I just finished cleaning most of the tissue off the skull yesterday - as good as I can get it with knives and screwdrivers. I'm ready to simmer, peroxide, and finish this thing up and get it mounted. The success memories definitely help offset the s#%t feelings . . . the thought of losing an animal just kills me though. I hope next year goes better for you.
Washington Wapiti