Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

General Deer Rifle/Archery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

General Deer Rifle/Archery

Postby mjblowers » 09 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I live in Boise, ID area and I quite frankly am tired of the warzone that is unit 39. That being said, I see the success rate for the archery late hunt in November is actually quite good - WHERE ARE PEOPLE going for this? IT blows my mind...

Other than the "arrowrock" area of 39 - are there any places within an hour or two of Boise that are good for ANY size buck rifle hunting?
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: General Deer Rifle/Archery

Postby LckyTylr » 05 08, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I've been getting it done in 39 for a few years now (with the exception of last year when I went to 27 and tagged out).

I go all the way past arrow rock to the bridge across the river. Drive up the switch back a mile or so, pull off to the side of the road and hike up one of those steep and really tall draws. There aren't too many deer in those draws as not all of them have springs in them, but the ones towards the tops of those ridges don't see humans other than what they can see driving that road. During the late archery season, that ridge is a major migration path (from what I have seen anyways) for both deer and elk. It's a fairly steady stream of critters as the first major storm of November rolls in.

I only hunt 39 for deer BECAUSE it's close to Boise. My preference is to driver further North to get away from the Boise Army.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Duck-Slayer » 05 16, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Interesting you say you wanna get away from the army, not really that difficult, problem is if there's no snow there's hardly any deer, my advice is stop dreaming of a good buck, they all get shot too young, also the time, effort, and $ you put into every weekend up there you could take 3-4 days go farther (another unit) and with some effort get a good buck,
Matt
Duck-Slayer

First Name: M
Last Name: K

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2014 •  [Post 4]

You might want to look at private ground, near towns
I have good friends back in Minnesota they use to hunt very small plots of land for specific deer ( treestand) in the metro area

While back i Minnesota I drove into a park behind my highschool reminding those hiking that the park was open for archery hunting
It isnt uncommon in Pocatello to see 27-30 mulies along the edge of town in November and December .
a friend had invited me to kill a deer about 200 feet from city limits,.. unfortunately fire burned the cover, this year that field had a 5x5 30 '' mulie
A contractor friend had a client offer his deck to kill any deer he wanted,..
started checking around you might be surprised of the oppurtunities

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/features/x1912988970/Mankato-urban-deer-harvest-meetings-its-aims
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H