Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stands are set!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stands are set!

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Spent the weekend hanging a couple treestands and cutting shooting lanes in my creek bottom. Lots of tracks this year going back and forth, but I've yet to see a live animal down there this year. I'm set up on two funnels that lead between a creek crossing and security cover, so I'm hopeful that I'll eventually catch a buck coming though. Now just waiting for colder weather to kill off some of the mosquitoes before I attempt to sit down there! Dang things are brutal.
Bullnuts

Re: Stands are set!

Postby bnsafe » 10 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

whitetails or mulies bull, good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Bullnuts » 10 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'll take either, but I'm hoping to hold out for a big one this year. I know there are some big deer down there - tracks are huge and old rubs confirm that they're there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to sit in a stand sometime this weekend.
Bullnuts

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Kind of unusual to hunt an area with both? Seems that way for where I hunt anyways, just found it interesting.
I second the part of killing of the bugs. Worst part is we have EHD coming through again this year....bring on the cold weather.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Bullnuts » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

BrentLaBere wrote:Kind of unusual to hunt an area with both?

We have a lot of mulies and whitetails on the plains here in CO. The area where I'm hunting is a combination of high plains, crops, and river bottom, so its not unusual to see both types of deer, bears, and even elk.
Bullnuts

Postby WindedBowhunter » 10 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Good luck!

Which stands are you using?
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Bullnuts » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have a River's Edge and a Big Game stand, both hang-ons that I use. I've had the River's Edge for a long time and it's a great stand. The Big Game stand is heavy but it has a monster platform and a comfy seat and it's the stand that I prefer.

Spent the morning down in my creek bed today. All the fruit is gone off a little orchard down there and all the fresh tracks have dried up. Crops are still up across the creek, though, so I'm guessing that most of the deer are bedding in the standing corn for now. It should come down in the next week or so - hope I'm in the stand when the combine gets to rolling!
Bullnuts

Postby Bullnuts » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Good morning in the stand yesterday. I finally found time to sit for a morning and saw 4 does and a booner buck! They were all 100 yards + away and wouldn't respond to my runt call - waiting for November! Most of the crops came down last week so there are a lot of deer taking up digs in my brushy creek bottom. Looking forward to the week of November 11. Bucks should be running does all day long!
Bullnuts

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Going out tonight for the first time and the wind is a perfect west wind at 5 mph. Snow fall last night with more to come and a temperature drop to boot.
Already been seeing the scrape activity picking up with a lot of sparring on trail cams. Even noticed some small bucks chasing the other night.......prime time is just around the corner. Anxiously awaiting these perfect conditions for the first night. Hopefully posting some good news tomorrow.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Bullnuts » 10 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Our bow season is closed now until Nov 6. That will give me time to move a couple stands around to the areas where the does are. Hopefully my big one survives the rifle season!
Bullnuts