Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

nebraska mulies

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

nebraska mulies

Postby bnsafe » 10 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

im thinking about goin to Nebraska for mulies cause its otc and ive got cabin fever bad. do mulies use game trails like whitetails, can I hunt them like I would a whitetail finding a good trail and sitting in a stand.
any thoughts or suggestions would be great, on how to hunt not where of course.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: nebraska mulies

Postby Vanish » 10 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Well I hope you figure something out! I considered doing that as well, but we rifle hunt NE for whitetails and I can only afford the $$ for one tag.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Hey bnsafe, I think it comes back to that old saying, "You find them where they are." That's why spot and stalk is usually the going method. You can most certainly hunt them along a trail in a treestand! What you won't have is the predictability and patterning like you do with whitetails. And you may just have to wait a little longer for a return, or for other individuals to come through. I've never really been able to pattern an individual or group of muleys. Although there were areas when I was in Utah, where they appeared to follow a pattern of coming down the same hillside in the morning in a particular section, just maybe not the same trail. At least for a couple of days. If you have some time to burn and you find a well used trail, or better yet, a well used intersection where trails come together . . . there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to git 'r done from a tree!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby GetemDuck » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I grew up hunting whitetail back east move to western nebraska almost 12 years ago......you can almost forget everything about whitetail when hunting mule deer except the fact that they need food and water. they do not favor game trails the same as a whitetail they are more nomadic then a whitetail they do not travel feeding circles etc. If you have an idea on where you plan to hunt and if it is in the panhandle shoot me a PM maybe it is someplace I've been...... guys who see the most and generally the biggest Mule Deer are doing spot and stalk. Lots of glassing.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W