Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best CO Deer Tag for '14?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best CO Deer Tag for '14?

Postby Elkduds » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have enough deer PPs for any tag, any season, in CO. I'm a resident, so RFWs are all included. Where would you go, and why?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Re: Best CO Deer Tag for '14?

Postby cnelk » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Wow. You are at the top!
21 RES PPs!!!
You will be leaving a few on the table wherever you go.

What is your favorite way to hunt?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Elkduds » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I hunted archery a lot before I was burdened by a job with limited days off. For this hunt I'm thinking muzzleloader or rifle.
Elkduds

Postby ColoStateHunter » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You like the apline or the sage better? I would hunt either early high country or late in the low country where they rut.

What caliber buck are you after?
ColoStateHunter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Urie

Postby Elkduds » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Looking to hunt superb bucks, fully prepared to come home without one. No preference as to terrain; could be way up early, down low late, a rut hunt, RFW, even rimrock country out east.
Elkduds

Postby cnelk » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Here is a link to MINIMUM PP required for deer units.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... erence.pdf

You can reference the above link with this link which shows the Harvest Report

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... Survey.pdf

Like mentioned you are going to leave several points on the table regardless where you go.
Its just a matter of how/where/when you want to hunt.

If you're looking for a BIG deer, I would also reference the latest B&C edition and look for Colorado entries.
You will get a feel for where big deer are historically harvest

The biggest buck I ever shot was on public land, 0 Pref Points and 1/2 mile from the truck and a long time ago

Is this something your looking for?
Or bigger?

cnelk

Postby cnelk » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My buddy shot this deer with 1 Pref Point - Public Land
Is this something you're looking for?

cnelk

Postby trkytrack2 » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

What deer are you after? Mule deer or whitetail? Your going to leave a bunch of those PP on the table no matter where you draw. Check the amount of PP it takes in all of the different units and the one needing the most PP will generally give you a clue as to the best units. One suggestion for mule deer would be an early high country rifle hunt. Most whitetails will be found in the eastern part of the state. Good public land hunting in a lot of the river drainage's. Private land has some really good bucks both whitetail and mule deer on the eastern plains. Good luck on your hunt.
trkytrack2

First Name: Edward
Last Name: Bennett

Postby Elkduds » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Guys, those are some big, bad buster bucks. What I'm most interested in is more like this one:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001349565

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll be after mulies. The highest PP licenses are at RFWs like Hill Ranch, Trinchera, etc. So I may leave a point or 2 on the table, but I should definitely draw whatever I choose. Besides, it is time to zero out those PPs so I can hunt good draw units every few years. Keep the advice coming, I appreciate it!
Elkduds

Postby cnelk » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yep.
Who wouldnt want to shoot the #1 typical? :)

I would go as late in the season you can.
Let those bruisers come out of the thick stuff looking for love, all swelled up, and stinky :)
cnelk

Postby Elkduds » 10 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Any feedback from people who have hunted on RFWs?
Elkduds

Postby H2Ofowlhunter » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Sent you a PM
H2Ofowlhunter

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Montague

Postby Jaquomo » 11 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I hunted Unit 2 for elk this year and could have had my pick of several different 180+ bucks in early September. One over 190 typical with a dropper that I'd have focused on. Virtually no deer hunting pressure due to the limited number of tags. You could definitely hunt that unit.

I prefer the plains in November but the best muley hunting is in the units that are virtually 100% private land, so unless you buy or marry into a ranch, you'll be paying big $$.
Jaquomo

Postby Elkduds » 11 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'll take a look @ unit 2 on the CPW big game atlas, thanks for the info.
Elkduds

Postby ColoStateHunter » 11 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Be realistic and if you are after a bruiser stay away from RFW. The RFW hunts take points because its a relatively "easy" high success hunt. If you really want to kill a Booner the Eastern plains are where you need to look. Give Atkinson Expeditions a look if plains mulies are your thing and be ready to pull out the pocketbook.

If you are after DIY find a few units that cross refrence well with the BC entries and start making calls to DWMs. Many of the deer herds in their traditional areas are struggling while other areas are upcoming.

The single thing I cannot stress enough is you will not just get an easy crack at a big deer because you have a pile of points. Big deer are a possibility in most units of the state and some of the biggest come out of 1-3 point units where the hunter has gotten a chance to learn the country and know it well.
ColoStateHunter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Urie

Postby Elkduds » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Many good points made here, thanks for your insight. Reflecting on RFW, why would guides show a nonpaying hunter their best bucks, when paying clients will give big $$ for the best deer on a ranch? I don't mind putting in a few seasons learning the lay of the land for a unit that just takes a few point. Seems like all these points might best be used to access a ranch I will never see otherwise, maybe with free lodging and meals :) or one of the draw units that require high points: 2, 10, 21, 44, 61, 103?, 142, etc. I could hunt these plains units if there was public land, don't know any landowners.
Elkduds

Postby Elkduds » 03 01, 2014 •  [Post 17]

While I was talking w wildlife officers about high pref point units, I heard something that is making me consider waiting a year to use my points. A few officers mentioned that preference point "banking" is being considered to restart in 2015, depending on public input and the decision of the Commissioners. If banking comes back, I can use only the # of points it takes to draw any tag, and keep the rest of my points. If you think this is a good idea, consider contacting the CPW (see thread in Doc's Office for link to comment online). So I am going to get another point in the draw next month, and hope for point banking next year. THANKS, I learned a lot from posters and PMs, and have some great ideas on where to find that buster buck of my dreams.
Elkduds

Postby brettb » 03 07, 2014 •  [Post 18]

If you are looking for areas with lots of public ground so you have more options on a hopefully once in a lifetime buck, I would concentrate on 4th rifle season. if you cant shoot a buck during 4th seaon scoring atleast 180'' then your not looking hard enough. with that said, almost all units have the opportunity of harvesting a 180'' deer. I recomend doing the research in certain units are intersted in and honestly one of the best scouting options you have are the outfitter websites. Think about, they offer so much info that its almost like a free scouting trip while sitting behind you computer. Use the internet to your advantage and not by just asking people on hunting forums. maybe do this for 1-3 years and make it your narrow it down to a 100% sure bet for what you are looking for
brettb

First Name: brett
Last Name: bowker

Postby one_elk » 03 26, 2014 •  [Post 19]

I would consider waiting a year and seeing if point banking is reinstated for the next 5 years. If it is then could hunt just about anywhere and not have to give up the points you didn’t need to draw…..best of luck to you ..
one_elk

Postby one_elk » 03 26, 2014 •  [Post 20]

oops didn’t read your post above…so my post is kind of redundant
one_elk