Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Oh so close...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Oh so close...

Postby cnelk » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So I bought a Season Choice tag for Nebraska this morning.
That gives me 2 antlerless tags to fill by mid January.
Now I can use my bow.
We will come back in December with ML
Then in January it's rifles

I found a public area with the help of a buddy and drove up here this afternoon.
I find the area and grab my bow and do some scout/hunting.
I had about an hour and half till dark.
I stumble around getting to know the lay of the land and not seeing much at all

I get back to the truck and drive back down the road some and pull off and go for another scout/hunt.
As I follow the edge of an old field, I see 3 deer at the other end in the corner, all does.
I know I can't get closer, so I set up in the cornerof my end of the field and decide to wait til dark....

I have 'the can' with me (primos) so after a few minutes I decide to give it I'd wirl.
I give about 3 bleats and wait...

I hear some deer behind me so I turn slightly and see 2 does coming toward me thru the river bottom that's full of cottonwoods.
They are less 100yds and closing quick.

60 yds

At 50yds I turn some more and get my bow ready

SNORT!!!

Dang!

There she was! A third deer had come in to the left of the other two and I was busted as she was only 30 yds. away!
Off they go!

Well that was fun.

I gathered my stuff up and walked a few yards only to find a tree stand that would have worked wonderfully

I ended up seeing 5-6 tree stands that I believe that Neb G&F set out for hunters.

Tomorrow I will scout hunt some more, then head back to Colorado for some turkey at my moms

This hunting stuff is pretty fun ;)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Oh so close...

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Busted!! Good stuff Brad, you gotta watch those sneaky ones! (grin) I've had elk do the same thing & back-door me, I'm sure you have too! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul