Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CO plains WT hints and suggestions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CO plains WT hints and suggestions

Postby AmericanBwana » 12 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Man it's been over 10 years since I hunted WT in NC.

I have access for and ES WT hunt this weekend in some river bottoms near Limon, CO. The weather is going to be REAL cold up until this weekend.

What do the WT do when it is this cold? Will they stay in the river bottoms, or head for some other cover. The temps should be in the low teens at best Friday afternoon when I get out there, and below zero on Saturday AM. The temps will moderate to the lower 20's by Sunday. We should get about 2 - 4 inches of snow between now and then.

I'm considering getting an on sale ground blind and a propane heater. The setup about near a logical choke point (Fence lines meeting, fresh game trails (the snow should help), etc.). Or should I run and gun?

FWIW, they have recently seen an 8 and 10 point (eastern count I guess), in there. I'm cautiously optimistic.

This is a rifle hunt, if that helps at all.
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Re: CO plains WT hints and suggestions

Postby cnelk » 12 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Dana
The ground blind is a good idea. Especially with the heater for this weekend!
Get out real early in the morning and try to catch them coming from feeding areas to bedding areas.
They still may be a bit rutty too. So watch for bucks cruising with does.

I would set up the blind where you can cover the cottonwoods and field edges, ambush spot [not knowing what the terrain looks like]
bring a lunch and stool. Set for all day.

Stay warm!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby BrentLaBere » 12 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I agree with hunting the transition areas. But avoid going through the feeding areas to get to the fields edge. You don't want to blow the deer out before sunrise. Food is the name of the game for this late in the season. If there is any chance of rutting bucks in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to smack the antlers together either. Might be able to catch a cruising buck in the river bottoms.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby AmericanBwana » 12 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Brent, I think the feeding area is to the west of the area. I'll be coming from the east, with the wind in my favor.

Cnelk, I sent you a PM with link to a map showing the area.

Thanks guys.

Now to round up a blind and heater before Friday AM.

Such problems to have :D

AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch