Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2013 Mule buck

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2013 Mule buck

Postby Gutpile » 02 04, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I hunted lots this season = but was successful only on my mule deer buck tag I drew with no preference points in this otherwise heavily pressured OTC (for elk) unit in Colorado. Here's the story.,

I got to rifle camp for third season and at the trail head was a town all on its own. I've never seen so many rigs - i've been hunting out of this camp for the past 3 years and usually just a horse trailer and one group of guys/gals from Pennsylvania who come out to deer hunt. This time, there were three large RVs - three large horse trailers, and a wall tent almost the size of my house. I pulled in thinking this might be a trying hunt. Opening morning i found myself walking up a large steep draw. About 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground and clear skies - one of those great mountain days with little wind. I was in good position at first light and started sneaking through the woods. I spotted a bedded buck and two does standing about 120 yards ahead. Things were looking good since i was trying to get some meat, but i wasn't gonna shoot the first forkie i found. I snuck ahead another 20 yards and crawled up to a tree to get a rest. The buck got up and sensed something wasn't right, but didn't run. I had a tight window to shoot through. First morning excitement got the better of me as i pulled the shot over the deers back - bummer! He was a smaller 3x4 but he wandered off more annoyed to be moved. I spent the rest of the day in the same area and saw a couple more deer but never had an opportunity.....Day two i went up a different ridge about 2.5 miles in to where you start hunting. My knee was aching first thing and it wasn't getting any better as i pushed up the ridge. On my way to a sweet spot down on the other side of this ridge, i realized i couldn't hike up and down like i'm used to so i decided to take a path into the wind and hunt some flatter terrain surrounding some private property. The weather had changed also and the wind was whipping. This spot has beetle kill galore, so the sound of popping trees is always on your mind, not to mention stepping over several years of beetle downfall. Tired i stopped to rest in a pretty fresh elk bed as it was the only dry spot around. I had a cow elk tag too, and was looking for both deer and elk - this is the fringe of a wilderness area and rarely do i see other hunters. I moved through the trees slowly still hunting and looked up to the sight of a deer staring in my direction. He was the smallest fork horn i've ever seen, and only had one fork to boot, but he was giving me the full glare. I stayed still and after 5 minutes or so, the little buck lost interest and began mingling with a couple of does i hadn't initially seen. I couldn't really advance but decided to stay put and see what developed. About 10 minutes later i caught a flash from my right side and saw a large fork moving through the trees but couldn't really tell what he was. My impression was that i should try and get this deer, but i couldn't really see the buck's body, just little bits of antler. This buck approached the little buck and did some fake sparing with him. This was November 3rd so the rut really wasn't going yet, but the deer were starting to mingle more. Another 10 minutes passed and i finally saw more of the rack and the head of this deer - he looked to be a 4x? so i was going for him. He worked back and forth in the trees and i saw a basketball size opening i thought i could shoot through so i readied. When he stepped into the hole, i let him have it with the 30.06 and he went down falling down a steep 30 foot slope. I got to him and smiled as i'd finally got some winter meat. He is a 4x3 with a split G4 - no brow tines, but a pretty good animal for this OTC area. My knee swelled up something fierce and lucky for me one of my hunting buddies came in and packed my deer out on his horse - unfortunately i was unable to hunt for the rest of the week and didn't have the chance to fill my cow elk tag. I'm happy with the meat though - it's been delicious. Not the best pic, but my buddy was the camera man and i had a perfect ray of sunshine right in the eyeball!
Attachments
IMG9503911.jpg
I saw this buck during archery season and got him about a mile below where we originally crossed paths.
IMG9503911.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Gutpile

First Name: Jeremy

Re: 2013 Mule buck

Postby Elkduds » 02 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Legal buck, good story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good spot, especially if you can get farther up and in than the hunting pressure, and let them come to you.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 06, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Hey Jeremy way to go dude, nice buck to boot! Congrats!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Moose-head » 02 06, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Nice buck and a good write-up too. Thanks
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Triplebhunters » 02 18, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Nice buck gutpile. Nice story as well, made my knee ache with sympathy pains.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Swede » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Congratulations on a dandy buck. I enjoyed the story about it's demise. How is your knee now?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Gutpile » 02 22, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Turned out no major damage in the knee - just start ing to get back to regular activities, severe tendonitis maybe a small cyst behind the knee - i'll be ready for next season!
Gutpile

First Name: Jeremy

Postby Bowhunter » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Good to hear your knee is better. Nice buck and a good story. I like when i tag one that I have a few run ins with durring the season.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby prairiestalker » 02 26, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Great story! Great buck!
prairiestalker

First Name: matthew
Last Name: preszler