Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wildcat AR rifle cartidges sutable for mule deer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What AR15 platform wildcat cartridge shows the most promise for muel deer?

Poll ended at 09 16, 2015

300 Blackout
No votes
277 Wolverine
No votes
6.8 Rem SPC
No votes
7 Valkary AR
No votes
Other (share details below please)
No votes

Total votes : 0

wildcat AR rifle cartidges sutable for mule deer?

Postby RichM » 07 18, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I know, elkhut is primarily a bow hunting sight, but there is usually a little less "noise" here.
Out of the following AR focused wildcat cartridges what do you think is the most humane/effective for mule deer, and why?

Here are links for more detailed information along with the pros and cons as I currently see them.
300 Blackout a 223 case necked up to 30 caliber, 125 gr muzzle velocity in the 2400 fps range. Uses common bolt and magazines, commercially available ammunition.

277 Wolverine a 223 case necked up to 270 caliber, 110 gr muzzle velocity in the 2400 fps range. Uses common bolt and magazines, commercially available ammunition.

6.8 Remington SPC based on 30 Remington, 120 gr muzzle velocity in the 2450 fps range. Uses not so common bolt and magazines, commercially available ammunition.

7mm Valkary AR 6.5x47 Lapua case necked up to 7mm. 140 gr muzzle velocities in the 2700 fps. Uses proprietary bolt and barrel extension, uses not so common magazines with reported issues, hand load only at date of this post.

I have reasons to stick with a cartridge capable of being chambered in an AR15 platform that I won't bother anyone with. This is currently just a mental game for myself as I have no plans to build a new rifle in the near future.
Thank you for any input.
RichM
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Re: wildcat AR rifle cartidges sutable for mule deer?

Postby RichM » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm all about resurrecting old posts lately.

So a little update. I decided on the wildcat 7mm VAR to build up for the rifle deer hunt I drew this year. The rifle I put together has some teething problems but so far I have gotten a 140 grain Nosler Balistic Tip out of the 18 inch barrel at 2610 fps and in my hands consistent more accurate than my bolt .308. The muzzle energy is on par with a similarly barrel length 7-08 Rem. I think i'm just about maxed out on muzzle velocity, I don't really want to push the reloading envelope right now.
The process has been quite the fun learning experience, a little expensive and definitely a learning experience. :lol:
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby wawhitey » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 3]

When i think muley hunting, i think steep back country terrain where a heavy ass ar would really suck to carry. Maybe its different where you live, but here you wont catch anybody carrying an ar into muley country. Lightweight mtn rifles ftw
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby lamrith » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

One major caliber not on that original list is the 6.5 grendel. It is a superb medium/big game cartridge based/designed for the ar15 platform. Perfect for deer and there are a plenty of people hunting even elk with them at shorter ranges. Ballistics wise it is equal to 308 from 0-400yrds and actually has less drop and higher energy than 308 past 400yrds. It is more than suffuicient for deer, even large muleys.

Best part is that it is a soft shooter that you can hand to about anyone without worrying about recoil issues, similar recoil to 556/223 AR. You can shoot all day without fatigue.

In terms of weight yeah AR's tend to be on heavy wise, they can be built super light, but the $ for that gets pretty high. There are more and more mfg now making bolt guns in Grendel, CS527 is the 1st that pops to mind, I think Howa mini action has one too. But any bolt gun for 7.63*39 should be usable with just a barrel swap.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Lefty » 06 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

A couple of neighbors have done some crazy things with AR's The one kid drove a $500 car and had $1700.00 into his gun.
The other fellow had 10K in his :shock: And nearly as much in his AR coyote gun.

I always prefer a larger bullet. My wife shot maybe 15 mulie bucks with 100-110 gn .243. but likely my F-I-L sped them up moving over 2800.

The fellow that taught me how to shoot made a few wildcat guns. My father in-law made a few wildcat loads, ( dont do that)
I dont shoot much anymore so I stick to the common rifles ,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Rich, the gun you made up is plenty for short and medium range Mulies. If you like it, just enjoy the hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 10, 2018 •  [Post 7]

RichM wrote:I'm all about resurrecting old posts lately.

So a little update. I decided on the wildcat 7mm VAR to build up for the rifle deer hunt I drew this year. The rifle I put together has some teething problems but so far I have gotten a 140 grain Nosler Balistic Tip out of the 18 inch barrel at 2610 fps and in my hands consistent more accurate than my bolt .308. The muzzle energy is on par with a similarly barrel length 7-08 Rem. I think i'm just about maxed out on muzzle velocity, I don't really want to push the reloading envelope right now.
The process has been quite the fun learning experience, a little expensive and definitely a learning experience. :lol:

That should do the trick! I started using an ar for lion calling last year, I have a sig m400 predator, never imagined using one to hunt, but it's a very practical weapon. The lion I shot this spring I was able to "litter" with bullets, which is nice to know when tracking a big cat in thick cover, I am thinking about getting a 6.8spc for my wife and daughter to hunt with. Low recoil and fully adjustable, win, win
Roosiebull