Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Good weekend in Pa.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Good weekend in Pa.

Postby Indian Summer » 11 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

On Friday lots of people I know headed north for the short Pa bear season. Lots of them scored. It's not easy and requires lots of plain old luck. This is a buddy of mine Joe Martineli. He went up for a cast and blast weekend. On Friday he posted a picture of the muskie. I clowned around and said whatever I've seen enough of those where is the bear pic. A couple hours later he replied with a bear pic. I guess he showed me. We call him Coyote Joe because one time he shot one and got a BS fine because they said no hunting in that township, (new rule lol)

They actually killed two nice bears that day. I asked him if he was going to change his name from Coyote Joe to Bear Claw now. Skin this one pilgrim and I'll find you another. :D

On another note I was busy most of the day Saturday but I did get the beagles out for a little. It gets dark at about 5 now and I headed out around 3:45. Not much time but I only go down the street. I ended up with three rabbits by the end of the day. We ran them non-stop. They were all good long runners making big loops with a few double reverses. lol I let the last one go by the first time. He was too close and standing still. He hopped slowly right to me to less than 10 feet before realizing I was there and he hung a right and bolted. So he knew right where I was standing. He looped again and the next time he was forced to run out of the cover through a 25 foot opening he was doing 99 miles per hour when he hit the opening. That's what I'm looking for! He was about 20 yards out and I took the time to lead him nicely and he did a triple mid air cartwheel. Done! I try to actually miss rabbits a little so I don't get too many BBs in them. I lead them more than I should and if they are sitting still I'll aim high of their head hoping to just put 10 or so BBs in there. There's a lot more to a good day of rabbit hunting than just shooting the heck out of every one you can.

Uh oh.... Phantom is going to move my thread because I'm talking about rabbits in the Big Game section. I better run.......
Attachments
CoyoteJoe2.jpg
CoyoteJoe2.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
CoyoteJoe.jpg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Good weekend in Pa.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Cast and blast ;). Looks like a great weekend in PA for big fish, bears, and bunnies :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Ridge Ghost » 11 23, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Muskie and a bear... that's a solid weekend!
Ridge Ghost

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Revis

Postby Indian Summer » 11 23, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Another guy I know killed this 541 pound blackie. Nice bear! We have monsters in Pa. Over the years there have been a few over 700 lbs!
Attachments
BigBear.jpg
Indian Summer

Postby Brendan » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Great pictures... I'll be in Wayne county starting this weekend. Hunting deer, but have seen bear too, so maybe I should buy a tag...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby redtop » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I think that muskie qualifies for Big Game.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Indian Summer » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Take a minute and read this article. You'll be shocked at the size of our bears if you weren't aware of how big Pa bears get. It lists all the first day bears that were officially weighed in over 5 and 600 pounds. We have to check all bears at check stations. Last week a guy killed one that went 713 pounds. That's like an interior grizzly! :shock:

Interestingly, I have never hunted bears in Pa.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2 ... nklin.html
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Holy heck, what are you feeding them things in PA?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Good weekend in Pa.

Postby Brendan » 12 01, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Like a dummy, I was too cheap to pay the extra $37 for a bear tag. "It's a waste - I'm deer hunting and I'll never see one.."

Opening day in Wayne county and I had what would have been my first bear standing broadside in my shooting lane, with the crosshairs resting behind his shoulders..

He then proceeded to walk behind my stand and blow out a buck that I hadn't seen.

Murphy's law, but I did at least full my tag on a small PA 8-point...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Great pics. That coyote citation is b.s. State law supercedes township law and there are legal opinions holding that a municipality cannot restrict hunting beyond the Game Code.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 11]

VT Sasquatch

Postby Ghost » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 12]

Years ago the bear biologist at the time Gary Alt, live trapped a bear in the summer in northeast pa that went according to him, just over 900lbs, he said if that bear is shot in the fall it will easily be over 1000lbs. To my knowledge that bear has never been harvested.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby saddlesore » 02 23, 2016 •  [Post 13]

Here in CO a big bear is 350 pounds.

My grandson moved to Warren Pa last summer .He is hoping to do a lot fishing on Kinzua.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics