Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Alaska moose plan.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Alaska moose plan.

Postby swmoelk » 01 28, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with AK moose hunting. I'm in the pre planning stages of a hunt. I've picked out a unit and have been studying different drainages in the sub unit. I've also been working on the logistics such as commercial flights,Bush flights, drop off and pickup spots. I'm learning a lot with every hour I spend reading,emailing,or talking to different people. To those of you that have done it,what is one thing you'd do differently? What would you cut cost on and maybe spend more on? I'm looking at right at $7 k from door to door including all meat and antlers brought home. This would be cheaper if I wasn't successful or only shot a bou.

Joe, I know you were doing one of these and hope you jump in and spread some knowledge.
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Re: Alaska moose plan.

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Out the door for work right now but I'll get back later. I have so much info and contacts it would make your head spin. What unit? PM if you want.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby swmoelk » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I'll be south east of McGrath .
swmoelk

Postby Lefty » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

My advise,.. plan on taking more than a moose. Bring more money 8-) and buy other tags. Do some creek, river or Ocean fishing, hunt upland go on a duck hunt.

I went to Alaska a long time ago, 10 days of fishing,.. my biggest regret was not buying a deer and bear tag, over the counter on Prince of Wales at the time,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby swmoelk » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Funny you should mention POW ,Lefty. I'm headed there for a week this September. We are all in for the bear draw and plan on some otc Sitka deer and halibut .
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I hear you Lefty. I did a two week trip up there once with the wife and we saw so many things it was crazy. Planes trans and automobiles and more planes. But a moose hunter has his hands full. Especially if he is flying in. It's very time consuming with strict weight restrictions.

The McGrath area is worth hunting. Have you picked a transporter yet? I know one that flies out of McGrath but he caters to an outfitter so you have to be careful. Or are you flying from somewhere else?
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 7]

I'm planning on Magnuson. If that doesn't pan out I'll fly out of talkeetna or anchorage. I'm thinking a 185 or 206 in or it will take two trips in on the cub and one trip out with a beaver. That depends on my exact area though.
swmoelk

Postby Lefty » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 8]

swmoelk wrote:Funny you should mention POW ,Lefty. I'm headed there for a week this September. We are all in for the bear draw and plan on some otc Sitka deer and halibut .
Its a different place than when I went,.. no draw for bear then , kind of a quiet place in the early 90's Certainly no big outfitter lodges like now.
we rented a forest service cabin $10 a night,.. we had to oar a boat over to the cabin.
The first day I caught my 7 salmon with ultra light gear in 35 minutes. Yellow 1/8th ounce crappie jigs
Hooked up with a local and caught his winter fish, alot of fish,. I tried to pay him anything,, Later I did talk to his wife and filled his truck and boat with gas.
Clammed, set crab pots, bears ans nice sitkas everywhere
Bear and deer season was open,.. We saw one local lay hunting deer,.. well shooting her deer beside the road
I was asked to go on a boat with 6 other fellows, I was sort of the other deck hand,.. I paid the other deck hand a $100,.. then it was a cheap trip, rental vehicle was $35.00 a day.
Folks talk about those barndoor halibut,.. one is almost too many, like reeling the bottom of the ocean up. I landed a couple 50 plus but I would rather catch 30, 15 lb'ers at least it felt like fishing
Whale walruses, Orcas a great trip.
My wife has plans for us to do it when were retired.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 29, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:,... a moose hunter has his hands full. Especially if he is flying in. It's very time consuming with strict weight restrictions. ?

I dont know the logistics,.. But check with your outfitter,..at least do some fishing, or kill some partridge,.. or,...

I had a friend go up in 88,.. sort of his own bachelor party. He stayed 2 more weeks and spent more than triple what "she" had planned.
Some how he talked his wife to go up for their 1 year anniversary,..
A bunch of guys from my HS went to Alaska during the boom in the late 70's. A few stayed,.. a couple went down with boats,..
Lefty

Postby swmoelk » 01 30, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Lefty, that sounds like an awesome trip. We are doing one of those diy lodge deals where you get a truck,skiff,canoe,and all the fishing gear. I'm taking my wife and her dad. In the beginning I was more interested in the hunting but now I think the fishing and just being there is more exciting. I have talked to a few locals and they said the same thing about the halibut.
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 01 30, 2016 •  [Post 11]

My honeymoon was "The Grand Tour". I spent months planning the entire trip. It started in Anchorage. Then a backpacker shuttle up to Denali. Bummed around the park for a bit. Saw interior grizzlies, moose, Dall's sheep etc inside Denali. Visited Jeff King's place (the famous Iditarod musher). Then caught the Alaska Railroad back to Anchorage and on south to Seward on the coast. The glass dome train cars are awesome. Saw lots of Dall's sheep and mountain goats from the train and a few moose on the way down. Then we hit the water in a 96 foot tour boat around the Kenai Fjords. I jumped in the wheelhouse and shot the bull with the captain a little. He was very cool and good at driving that sucker! Wildlife in the fjords was incredible. You name it we saw it. Whales, Dall porpoises, killer whales, seals, sea elephants, and of course all different kinds of penguins and puffins. Huge schools of bait fish. Calving glaciers were cool too. Then the train back to Anchorage and a big plane out to King Salmon on the peninsula. Did some salmon fishing in the Naknek River. Took a 40 ft jet boat from there over to Katmai National Park to film the grizzlies at Brooks Falls. Float plane back to King Salmon and then flew back to Katmai the next day to take the jacked up school bus down to the Valley of 10,000 Smokes to see the largest ever historic volcano in North America. Imagine a huge valley of pumice with full sized streams blowing a hole right into the rock and disappearing.... then blasting out of a giant hole downhill from that somewhere. The brown bears in the area were incredible. Hundreds of them. At one point we were on a heavily worn trail, like 16 inches deep in the pine duff, and a griz came the opposite way on the trail. Instead of stopping I just started walking backward. He jumped off the trail and circled around us at about 25 yards and got back on the trail headed toward the falls. Fairly hair raising! :shock: If you ever go to AK during the summer I would highly recommend a trip to Katmai. It was the highlight of the trip. I have hours of video of brown bears fishing fighting and socializing.

I cannot imagine going to the Last Frontier and being stuck on a cruise ship! :roll:
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 12]

That's sounds amazing. I'm afraid if I went on that trip I'd not be able to come home.
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 13]

Your plan is a good one. Making a plan happen isn't always easy. The transporter is the key. You can always find one but getting one as close to your final destination saves money and that's one of the main parts of the planning. I find that for most of the areas I want to hunt it requires one more flight leg to fly into a village smaller than Anchorage or Fairbanks.

But like anywhere you learn and I'm finding spots where I can skip the bush planes altogether to really bring the cost down. That saves time too so more time for actual hunting. Next time I might be hunting from the truck. If you know for sure you're going you should get an Alaska Airlines credit card and start running every dollar you spend through it. Flying for free really helps overall hunt costs. A companion flies for $100 making it easier on a partner if you have one.

The other thing is once you commit nail down that transporter asap because with out him the hunt doesn't get off the ground.
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 14]

The Alaska airlines card has already paid for the pow ticket this year and got a discount on the wife's. I have another plan made that doesn't require a transport that I could actually do with an otc tag and all it would cost is time and some gas money. Its all about how much it's worth for you to be alone or feel like it's second season Colorado elk. I couldn't believe just how crowded some of the units are up there. They have twice as many people as some units in Colorado and half the animals. I'm sure lots don't venture off the trail or their atvs but if I travel 3500+ miles I don't want to hunt in a parking lot.

I've found a couple cheap floats that I'd say give me a 25% chance of success compared to 50-75% if I fly in remote.
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2016 •  [Post 15]

It's like anywhere.... there are places to hunt without a packer and mules and a moose hunt can be done without a plane. You just need to make connections. Any time I am away on a hunt and I run into another hunter at a airport, the guy who owns Fairbanks Tannery, a guide, etc I absorb every piece of info I can. I ask some subtle key questions. Every once in awhile you'll run into someone nice enough to hand you some priceless info. And every now and then a kind soul will even put an X on the map for you.

The truck hunt I mentioned is cheap. But I never said it was easy. Actually there are LOTS of hunters in nearby areas. Some hunting camps in the area. But the guy who passed on this spot said the reason nobody hunts it is it is so thick. So my buddy, who now owns Indian Summer Outfitters, went in there on his own on foot. Camped in the truck every night. Said there were no hunters and lots of moose. But he was mostly hearing and not seeing because of the cover. But when they are there it's just a matter of time and he eventually killed a 53 incher. Paul is funny. He has the most incredible stories. I have learned so I never doubt him anymore but I used to. But every single time just about the time I was thinking "is he serious" he'd say "And here are the pictures AND video and the GPS coordinates" So he told me he saw a bigger one in there too. He went out to get the guy who told him about the place for help packing. Told the guy there was a bigger bull hanging around. So that guy took his gun. "And here are the pictures" 61 incher. From the truck! He told me he had to cut a chainsaw path to pack both bulls out which is legal up there.

Paul drove up with no plan. Wow! Just jumped in his truck in Montana, drove up, and killed a big moose...... and a nice caribou bull too! Now he tells me he has a way better plan for next time. Oh yeah baby! A first trip is as much of a learning experience as it is a hunt. Lots to learn up there. But it is still planet earth and if you walk far enough in the right direction there are places you can have to yourself. The initial trip is the hurdle to get past. If you go up make sure you aren't in a hurry coming and going so you can do some on the spot research.

I love float planes. Been flying in them for nearly 30 years. But they are expensive. My goal is the same as yours but I would like to go moose hunting every 2 or 3 years. A bonus caribou would be awesome. Flying and floating are great ways to have a good hunt. 18 to 24 grand every 10 years is a tough thing to do. So I just wanted you to know that you can have a successful hunt on your own with some seclusion without those expenses. Not many residents fly and they kill their share of monster bulls every year. We can too!
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2016 •  [Post 16]

Here's his bull. He needs a Clip-Shot! Not too good of a photo but the brows sure are nice. No question he was a shooter in a 50 inch 4 brow tine unit.
Attachments
IMG_0319.jpg
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2016 •  [Post 17]

Me and John Ponts from the tv show Flying Wild Alaska. Very cool guy. Knows a spot or two. :D
Attachments
FlyingWildAlaska.jpg
FlyingWildAlaska.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 19907 times
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 02 05, 2016 •  [Post 18]

That's a nice bull.
The problem I have is planning in advance. With my job I never know what job I'm going to be on and with no vacation if I make plans and have to take off its either just drag up or if I'm lucky they will let me off and I'll have a job when I get home. Then this September I hadn't made any hunt plans and ended up having two whole weeks off anyways . That's why I'm determined to have a couple hunts in my pocket wether it's otc elk or something bigger like AK moose or bou for years when I have the time.

I have made contact with another transporter and am waiting on a reply. I also spent the day emailing with a blm guy out of the eastern interior office yesterday and he had some good information for me .

Indian Summer , you have some very interesting encounters no matter where you end up .
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 02 05, 2016 •  [Post 19]

Yeah it was neat running into John. Although if I had my choice I would have rather talked with Ariel Tweeto. She was in Europe when I as up there. Before I jumped in the plane with John I spent a half hour talking to the main trooper from the show Alaska State Troopers. He was a very nice guy too. Wanted to sell me a beaver hat but $200 was a bit much at the time.

I don't know of any other transporters down where you plan to hunt. But I know a damn good one out of Galena who flies all the way down to McGrath if you're interested. He will fly for charter rates which means hourly. I like that better than flat rate like 3K per man regardless of where you go.

Just pick a unit where you can hunt on a harvest tag so you don't have to buy it in advance. That way you can play it by ear depending on your job.
Indian Summer

Postby jmez » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 20]

I did one several years ago that was outfitted and unguided. Pluses and minuses to this vs a DIY. They drop you off and your camp and more importantly, all of your food is sitting there. You just have to set it up and go hunt. When you are done, pack your clothes and leave. It is a little more expensive but way less hassle and planning. Still not near the cost of a guided hunt.

Make sure to plan 2 extra days on each end of your hunt. You are better off having to spend a couple days in a hotel in anchorage than having your hunt cut short due to weather. If the weather is bad and they can't fly you sit until they can. This happens a lot in the fall in Alaska.

Make sure you have high end rain gear. We hunted for 14 days. Out of 14 days it quit raining one day for 42 minutes because I timed it. Not a mist or a sprinkle, steady rainfall with temps hovering around 35 degrees, plan you clothing and footwear accordingly. A fire was not possible, everything was soaked completely through. A gallon of Coleman lantern fuel wouldn't even get one going. We had about 2 inches of water standing in our tent by the end of the trip. Take a cot, you don't want to be on the ground. Do not take down clothing or bedding.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby swmoelk » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 21]

Yes the harvest ticket is definitely they way I'll be going. I've not looked at much around Galena but I'll do some checking.

Jmez, 14.days of weather like that would drive anyone insane. Did you at least have a good hunt other than being cold and wet for two weeks?
swmoelk

Postby jmez » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 22]

We had a great trip. One guy shot a 64 inch moose. We were on another bull bigger than that a few times but could never get a shot. Saw a lot of moose. There were four of us on the trip. I took a really nice caribou, another guy got a black wolf and the fourth shot a really nice black bear.

Nice thing about Alaska, your tag can be used on anything of equal or lesser value except sheep and grizz which require a guide.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 02 09, 2016 •  [Post 23]

It rained like hell the last time I was up there too. Friends before me hunted in the rain for 8 days straight. I don't care what kind of tent you have..... tarp it!

Forget about all that breathable mumbo jumbo..... get yourself some Helly Hansen Impertech. I like the 3/4 length guide jacket for up there. Also a set of Lacrosse or similar boots to get a break from wearing hip waders al the time and of course camp shoes.
Birch bark is like a road flare and there's always some around. Get the stuff that is curling off of the trunk. Even in the non stop dampness I can always get a fire going with that stuff.

If you want to fly into Galena I can put you in contact with a bush transporter that flies for $650 an hour and no other charges with al your own gear. Not bad at all. He can fly anywhere from the Melozi down to the Innoko and a bit beyond. Wheels or floats.
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 02 11, 2016 •  [Post 24]

What's he using for 650/hr up there? What did it cost you guys to fly your meat from Galena back to civilization?
swmoelk

Postby swmoelk » 02 11, 2016 •  [Post 25]

That seems very reasonable as long as it's a decent size rig. I also love the Helly Hansen stuff. I'm not sure if my pants are impertech or not but I got a good deal on some from Sierra trading post a couple years ago and they're great.
swmoelk

Postby swmoelk » 05 09, 2016 •  [Post 26]

I switched it up a bit after talking with several biologists and transporters,but 2017 moose hunt is a go . Just waiting for contracts and deposits to be exchanged.
swmoelk

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2016 •  [Post 27]

Who are you hunting with?
Indian Summer

Postby swmoelk » 05 16, 2016 •  [Post 28]

I went with Bushwhacker. Transport only and decided on a drop camp.

I was second guessing my decision this weekend when I was standing at the Boone and Crockett awards display and was looking at a giant that came out of the drainage next to my original choice.

Im going to fly in a cub as close to moose habitat I can and try to hunt moose from camp then hike the hills for caribou a couple days.
swmoelk