Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mr. Big

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mr. Big

Postby Duck-Slayer » 03 07, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Well my photo's for this story were not of the quality that is necessary too be put in a magazine so you all get too see/read it here..... This is the original story,

My alarm went off at 5:50 a.m. on opening morning, I heard a distinct sound, thud thud thud.... relatively fast, I immediately knew that it was raining quite hard outside, this mean's I didn't have too be in too big of hurry, I leaned up from bed and noticed that my Honda EU2000 generator had shut off during the early morning, it runs about 10-12 hours on a tank of fuel, I remember filling it up about 5 p.m. the evening before, I got my shorts and shirt on and stepped out into the rain and quickly filled the generator and it fired up on the first pull, jumped back in my overhead camper and turned the coffee pot too on, nothing like fresh cup of joe in the morning!
As I ate my cereal and drank my coffee I peered out the window into the semi-darkness, it was barely getting light out, the rain was still pelting the camper, I figured I better finish up and get ready so when the rain let's up I can get out and do some glassing on a distant ridge, I knew that the deer would also be waiting for the rain too let up too finish there morning feeding. The rain tapered off about 7 a.m., I hoped on my Suzuki king quad and road too the near point that I had spotted a large black bear the evening before, it looked too be a great meadow that held deer, just that evening that bear thought it was a great place too feed, so no deer were spotted there the evening before. I pulled up too the spot I picked too look over the country, as soon as I stopped within seconds I spotted a moving white spot in the distant meadow over a mile away, I put my 10x42 on him and sure enough I could make out a huge framed 4x5 mule deer that was unusually wide. I set up my 20-60x70 cabela's Alaskan guide spotting scope, as soon as the glass hit the deer I knew he was "Big", I watched the deer move around the brush filled meadow, at one point I thought he was alone, I had not seen any other deer around him. But that thought didn't last long as I spotted another deer feeding toward "Mr. Big", I quickly looked over the buck and saw that he was a very small 4 point, than another deer stepped out behind the small 4, I looked over this deer and he was a small 3 point. All 3 deer were still in full velvet, after a lengthy look for more deer I came too the conclusion that there were 3 buck's in the group. I quickly lost interest in the other 2 and concentrated on Mr. Big.
I had spotted Mr. Big at about 7:10 a.m., it was closing in on 8:30 a.m., I knew that they would be getting ready too bed shortly, I started planning my approach route. I had noticed during my glassing that I saw a very faint trail just below the deer, I opened up my map and saw that there was indeed a hiking trail that led too just below the deer. I figured out where the trailhead was and planned my approach, while kept one eye on Mr. Big. Had my plan of attack, the meadow was relatively flat and that I could approach even with them, I knew that the thermal's would be iffy, but if I kept even with them the thermal's would either go up or down the mountain.... in theory. at about 9 a.m. the 3 bucks bedded just above a large brushy bush. I watched them for another 10 min. just too make sure they were happy with there bedding location. They were, didn't look like they had any plans too get up. Off I went too the trailhead.
I parked, got rid of everything I did not need for the stalk, dropped my gloves, hat, sweatshirt, bibs, spotting scope. Threw my Jim Shockey pack on, grabbed my Mathew's heli-m and off I went down the trail. It took about a half hour too close the distance too what I consider the red zone, which is 100 yards from the intended target. Dropped my pack, nocked an arrow, made sure my stingray release was handy in my front right pocket on my pants and I slowly crept down the trail. I did not take my boots off, it had been raining for the last day and a half, so I knew as long as I did not step on any thicker twigs that my noise would be muffled with everything being wet.
I closed the 100 yards too about 60 from the large bush that they had bedded near. I was just slightly lower than the big bush, so I slowly crept up so I could see the upper side of the bush. Just as I cleared a smaller bush about my body size I saw movement, it was Mr. Big. I could see his tan full velvet antler's moving side too side slowly without a care in the world. I quickly knelt behind the small bush. Grabbed my range finder out of my left front pocket and very slowly leaned around the bush too range Mr. Bigs antler's. Pressed the button, kicked back the reading 54 yards, at this time was was fairly nervous, biggest buck I have every seen in the wild, let alone being 54 yards from him. I got my range finder about half way back too my pocket when he decided too stand up, dang! I than saw the other 2 buck stand up just beyond Mr. Big. I felt the breeze on my face steadily going up hill, I knew I was good and I hadn't made any noise, I watched the 3 bucks for the next 10 minutes slowly feed the opposite direction and slightly up hill, I ranged the bush the bucks were feeding on - 84 yards, too far.
Even thou I practice out too 90 yards at home. When I had gotten too camp I tested my effective range at the altitude and conditions. I could hit a 3" circle every time out too 60 yards. I had stepped back too 70 and 80 yards and only hit the circle about 3 out of 4 try's, so I figured that I would safely say that my effective range was 60 yards.
So I was patient with these deer, no need too rush. I was in a great position, wind was great, I was concealed by the small bush. The smaller 3 point started too feed slightly back toward me and up the hill, I ranged him as he got closer - 64 yards. I started too contemplate if the buck gets close too winding me if I should take a shot at Mr. Big, he was still at 75 yards. After all that had happened and the time I had been kneeling there my legs started too go numb, I figured since I was not in a hurry I would readjust and let my legs out alittle, as I was readjusting I hear "tink", a metal on metal sound. I had bumped my stingray release and it had came off my D-loop and bounced off my cam on my bow. I did not move, slowly looked up and the small 3 was staring directly at the bush I was hiding behind. All I was thinking is please don't blow out of there, after several minute's he just turned around and walked back too the other 2 bucks that were still feeding on another bush. I thought thank you lord!
They eventually fed around too the far side of the large bush. I knew if I could sneak too the lower side of the bush that there was a great chance that they would feed out from the other side and I would get a shot. I slowly got up after the 3 bucks were out of sight behind the bush. I crept back down toward the trail. Just as I almost got into position, I picked up movement below me, I froze. I say 1 than another, 2 more deer. I slowly raised my range finder too see what they were. 2 doe's, the breeze was still moving up the hill, they were on a mission, moving fairly quickly from right too left below me. After they were safely past me I took my final step too be in position. Just as I did that, sure enough the Mr. Big walks out and starts feeding on a bush on the other side of the trail. I slowly reached my my range finder, pushed the button about 5 different time's, after each time it read 57 yards, 57 yards. I thought to myself perfect. As I was putting my range finder down too hang off my belt loop, Mr. Big spotted my hand movement. I pretty much had the range finder down so I very very slowly put my hand on my release that was already clipped on my D-loop and ready. I glanced down at my Black Gold ascent sight and just double checked that I still had it on 60 yards and it was.
At 57 yards and staring directly at me semi-alert, I knew it was now or never. I also knew I can draw my 70 lb bow pretty much without any movement, I already was standing there ready too shoot so all I had too do was draw. I slowly drew my bow, centered my single pin in my peep sight, made sure my bubble was level, aimed for his heart and released. I heard the distinct Crack! of an arrow hitting something. I quickly replayed the moment over in my head, did I shoot over and hit a branch. I peered over too where the buck had been standing and the bushes were going crazy. I quickly knocked another arrow and heard the sound of the other bucks stomping there hooves on the ground too alert any nearby deer that they were spooked. As I closed the distance and peered down too where the bushes were moving Mr. Big had ducked and fallen away off a slight decline from the trail and I spinned Mr. Big. I saw a thick blood trail leading down too where he was laying. As he tried too crawl away with his 2 front legs I ranged him quickly 27 yards, moved my sight too 30, drew back, put it on his last rib as he was quartering away laying on the ground and released, Smack!, perfect hit.
I almost immediately turned away and started walking back too where I had dropped my pack and other gear. I was shaking uncontrollably, all I could think of was I just shot the biggest deer I have ever seen in the wild. As I came up my pack I thought too myself that maybe I have cell service since I was on top of the world. Sure enough as I pulled it out of my pack I had a 1 extended service bar. I dialed my wife's number, after about a minute or two of moving around I heard it ring. My wife picked up and I just started screaming that "I got him" "I got him" "whoohoo". She replied "you got it", and I said "yes!", "I got the big one". She congratulated me and we talked for several minutes. I told her how it all unfolded. After a long conversation and I was sure that Mr. Big was expired, I got off the phone with my wife, put my pack back on and headed too where Mr. Big was expired. I slowly eased down too the monarch, he was even bigger than I thought. I put down my pack and started admiring him. After a lengthy photo session with my camera, luckily it has a timer on it and my pack is a great tripod.
I quickly caped the deer, as I knew this one was going on the wall, quartered him, took off the back straps, inner straps, and got ready for the pack out with the head and cape. It ended up being a very long day of packing out, my partner was not due until midnight that evening. It took 3 trips, about 1 1/2 miles each way on the trail and 8 hours later I was back at camp, boned out deer in the cooler and a large rack.
I want too thank the best wife a man could have, for letting me go on this hunt and for being there for me all the time, she share's my passion for the outdoors an has given me 2 amazing children. I also want too thank my dad for letting me fling arrows with an old fiberglass recurve when I was 6-7 years old out on the farm and for pointing me in the right direction in life. Thank you!

By:
Matthew R. Kueffler
here are the totals-
Outside spread - 33 4/8 *not in total
inside spread - 28 1/8
R. antler - 78 5/8
L. antler - 70 0/8
Abnormal points - 28 5/8
Score: 192 5/8 net - 205 1/8 gross non-typical

First time I spotted him....

as he lay...

Grip and Grin....

I made the pedestal myself,
Image[/URL]
Archery Central DirtNapGear
DeathHarp BowstringsBackWater Outdoors LLC
Onestringer Arrow Wraps
Duck-Slayer

First Name: M
Last Name: K

Re: Mr. Big

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 07, 2016 •  [Post 2]

What a great write up and a beautiful buck Matt! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share it with us. 192 5/8 net - 205 1/8 gross non-typical; congrats on a buck of a lifetime!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby GobbleFarmer » 03 07, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Sweet buck! I loved the write up. Congrats on an awesome hunt and trophy! That pedestal looks top notch too. :D Do you think that shed is from him in years past?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby elkstalker » 03 08, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Wow! That is a great Idaho buck Matt, good job. It doesn't happen often, but you gotta love when a hunt works out just the way you planned. Thanks for waiting to post, its post like these that get me excited for the fall!
elkstalker

Postby wawhitey » 03 09, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Wow. Huge buck, full velvet, thats awesome.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Rangerz » 03 09, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Congrats! Beautiful Buck.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole