Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blacktail Hunting Tip Thread

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blacktail Hunting Tip Thread

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Thought we'd start a thread on tips/tactics for these "grey ghosts of the west coast".

Tip 1 - They have underground bunkers (equipped with video monitors connected to tree mounted camera surveillance systems). They hide in these bunkers somewhere on the alder/blackberry choked hillsides during the day and only come out only at night :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Blacktail Hunting Tip Thread

Postby huntnfolk » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Don't know about the electronics, but I definitely believe they hide out in underground bunkers. Hard critters to find sometimes.

1) Hunt the stormy weather. I've always had better luck finding blacktails up and moving in the rain.
2) Hunt mid day. My family has killed several bucks between 10-2 while a lot of other hunters are back at camp having lunch and a siesta.
huntnfolk

First Name: John
Last Name: R

Postby Lefty » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I killed one hog of a stinking rutty buck while living in Washington.
My first black tail experience. I was pulling into the area I was going to glass. And this dumb 16 inch ' 5x7 stopped 30 yards in front of the truck,.. Shortly it was legal shooting light. A few thoughts keep running through my mind. This is too easy first time in the woods and this buck is standing in front of me for 45 minutes. I will admit I loaded the gun, took the safety off a few times,.. Just couldn't do it. I also didnt know any better. :oops:
And I would be done hunting if I killed this buck opening day. :o
That hunt wrecked me hunting in Washington state. The next weekend I spotted a huge wide buck,.. not knowing the laws( Minnesota you weren't suppose to shoot across water of from a highway_) I passed on the biggest widest live buck of my life.
I passed on lots of bucks, over 5 years looking for that single buck. I did wait on one in the Kilicatat area I saw him run into the brush. Though-out the day I would see him stand, look around and bed in this small thicket, A number of hunters passed with 30 yards of him a few times though out the day. That buck never gave me a shot

My tip ,. hunt them like rabbits. Get in the thick nasty and walk slow,.. very slow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 4]

The rascals have another trick. The large bucks stay in their underground bunker and send out the spikes and does to do reconnaissance and to report back on all hunters in the area. The old bucks know the legal minimum is forked antlers or larger. The does and spikes are safe out, but they are in on the conspiracy.

As lefty said hunt slow and stop frequently to look around. Walk down a ridge and pop over from one side to the other to get a surprise look into their hidey holes. Hunt near major rock outcrop areas and work your way around them.
I used to like to hunt in the rain too and stop and glass clear-cuts. It sometimes takes a few minutes for a buck to stand up to sneak off, but if you are in no big hurry it can pay.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 17, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Another thing about blacktails, they have glue on their hide so they can bed on 65 degree slopes. You can not believe the steep steep placed I found beds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BMGinthePNW » 06 15, 2016 •  [Post 6]

For the guys that are successful year after year on the wily Blacktail, they have a ton of time invested into them and make it a top priority. Knowing the small choked areas they call home is key and you will be hard pressed to squeeze much info out of anyone who hunts these guys. I have seen my fair share of respectable bucks tromping around the westside of WA but have yet to harvest one. Lack of effort on my part. Some get lucky and but for most the deer becomes a thing of nightmares, constantly eluding the hunter. There are exceptions. I feel lucky to live in a state where you can harvest 3 different deer species, actually you could hunt all 3 in the same season if you pick your units and weapon accordingly (obviously only bagging 1). Residential areas hold some bruisiers, they seem to tease us outdoorsman with their lazy ways. Frickin' blacktails, a love/hate relationship.
BMGinthePNW

Postby OregonTK » 10 07, 2016 •  [Post 7]

I know this is an old thread, but I've been hunting blacktail bucks since 1967. First with a rifle, then my bow, and recently with photography gear. Just when I think I have them figured out, I get sent home with my tail tucked between my legs. But there's just something about a big gnarly mature blacktail buck sets them apart.

I started experimenting with scent years ago...specifically my own scent! Have lots of trailcam video of bucks reacting to posts in the woods that I've ... pee'd on. Get bucks of all sizes strolling by to sniff, rub glands, rub antlers, and deposit their own scent at the post by treading and urinating over their tarsal glands.

Here's a big mature buck in a short video from a few years ago...

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 10, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Cool video Oregon. I've got to get out and try the rattling thing some day. I've rattled in white tails with decent success and I've heard it works just fine on BTs in places.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby OregonTK » 10 11, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Thanks Phantom! I love rattling bucks, you never know if they're going to walk in or run in, show up in less then 30 seconds or after 15-20 minutes...it can be a spike or a swollen neck stud.

Here's another trailcam video for fun...

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby lamrith » 10 11, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Getting my juices flowing!! When do you find they respond to Rattling? and good chunk of time for that? Modern season starts this weekend, hoping to get my son out to get our 1st big game animal
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Roosiebull » 03 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I don't know if I like chasing roosies with my bow, or blacktail with any weapon better...I think I get more enjoyment chasing bucks, but it's close...rifle or bow, there is one common theme that works best, and that's non intrusive persistence.

My approach to hunting blacktail us hunt as hard as you can in all conditions, while being mindful of not running them out of the country. Rifle hunting is more of a chess match, late archery season seems to be more of an ambush does, and wait for Mr buck to show...both fun, both rewarding...both very humbling...both very different to me, but the challenge is equal.

If I have a rifle tag, hunting all day October 20, and a day or 2 each side seems to be the best chance at a big one . Late archery, every second has potential for a monster, my biggest was December 3rd, and it was the craziest blacktail scenario I have seen, 3 nice bucks, all grunting, and oblivious in 5 minutes following a hot doe...it was my last day to hunt, I killed the one with his nose up the doe's rear, and he was the big one...that was a very blessed day in every way.

October 20 with a rifle, you have potential of finding a monster checking areas. The largest buck I have ever seen by far (watched a good friend shoot it) and the next 2 biggest bucks I have seen, have been within a day of October 20, late morning, where they shouldn't be (including this year) maybe a coincidence, but my motivation is high around the 20th
Roosiebull