Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

1st ever mule deer hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

1st ever mule deer hunt

Postby swmoelk » 05 17, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I just found out I drew my first ever mule deer tag today. Muzzleloading in Southern Colorado. I know where I'm hunting and where I should be able to find deer but do any of you veteran MD guys have any tips for me? I'll be packing into the wilderness for a 6 day hunt.
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Re: 1st ever mule deer hunt

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Are you hunting solo or with a group? when will you be hunting?

I dont know anything about Colorado but if you are a flatlander we could give you some help about hunting mountians
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby swmoelk » 05 30, 2016 •  [Post 3]

This isn't my first trip to the mountains just my first with a mule deer tag in my pocket. The main goal of this trip is elk . I thought in had a good shot of drawing the muzzy tag for both species but missed the elk. So I'll have my bow along as well for them. It will be Sept 12-18 alone the continental divide . Here's my hunting area. I have a lot more elk ground to hunt but these are my first choice deer areas with a chance at some elk. I have watched mulies in the timber but this will be my first jaunt above the tree line . I'm also going on a Sitka blacktail hunt the week before so I'll have a little more experience after that.

The red circle are deer spots and the blue is where I think I'll find some elk.
swmoelk

Postby swmoelk » 05 30, 2016 •  [Post 4]

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/7f8a7b3e96fcc83490807882e16932e4.jpg[/img]
swmoelk

Postby calvin5252 » 05 31, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like a blast. You will have to keep us updated on how the hunt turns out for you. I killed my biggest muley to date with a muzzle loader in Utah before the new scope regs. (so i was using a red dot). There is something about using a muzzle loader on a hunt that makes it so much more fun. Good Luck.
calvin5252

Postby swmoelk » 05 31, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I'm one of those guys who just love to hunt. Rifle,bow,muzzy,or camera I enjoy the pursuit. I got bit by the mule deer bug after watching them in Colorado and Wyoming the last couple years. They fascinate me.
swmoelk

Postby nrocchio » 08 08, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Congratulations on the tag! I grew up in S. Colorado. I have never hunted muzzle loader, but my advice for hunting them would be to spot and stalk. I have had success with a rifle after accidentally bumping them, because they are usually curious after they get spooked and will stop and look back to see what chased them out of their bed. That hasn't worked out for me with the bow because they usually stop out of bow range. If they are already spooked at all, I haven't been able to close the distance. Still if you bump one, be ready to shoot just in case. I am sure your max distance with the ML is longer than my bow range. My archery strategy is to get up early and catch them feeding. Then when they bed down for the day plan a stalk. I know its not ground breaking or original advice, but I think it has been proven to work well by a lot of mule deer hunters. Good luck!
nrocchio

First Name: Nick
Last Name: R.

Postby swmoelk » 10 09, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the replies but my muzzy tag got returned in July. I got a call to get in a pretty lucrative spot in my industry and the job started the day I was supposed to head to CO . I did the responsible thing and took the job. Now in sitting on the job wishing I was in the mountains lol. That's the price of being a family man though.
swmoelk