Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snakes!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snakes!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I'm not a huge fan of snakes, poisonous or not. Around my property in WA State, I have the worlds largest population of garter snakes for some reason (I kid you not, it's a bumper year for snakes at my place)... Even though they make me jump a bit while out doing yard/property work when we cross paths, we co-exist in relative harmony as I think they help keep my mole population in check ;) .
Now, those other snakes... the ones that have long pointy teeth and strike, can keep their distance from me! I've lived, and hunted, in a few places that have poisonous snakes but as of today, I don't hunt where poisonous snakes dwell.

How many of you cats hunt where there are poisonous snakes? Do you feel having to be vigilant for fanged critters on the ground takes away from your hunting experience/success? Do you take any additional protective precautions while hunting in snake country (Crocodile Dundee boots, lol)? Just curious....
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Snakes!

Postby Charina » 06 14, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Well, I am a pretty big fan of snakes. As long as it's not venomous, I'll be picking it up if I see one.

Last year was notable for finding a wandering garter in mid-Oct at 8,500 ft. Not your typical time of year in UT to find a snake. I seem to find a garter or two about every other year.

Most of the elk territory I have visited is a bit too high elevation for rattlers. There certainly is some crossover, and esp in early season there is some surface activity still. But by the time the first cold front or two moves through, they want to be pretty close to their dens, so won't be scattered so widely. Even though I look for snakes, I have never seen a rattler during hunting. Only in preseason scouting and in areas outside of where I would hunt.

Don't mess with them, and they won't mess with you. The VAST majority of envenomations are from people that were screwing with the snakes. Most rattlers I see, I can pass within striking distance of them and they won't rattle or strike unless they think their cover is blown, or they are actually stepped on. They would far rather hide than confront, but will if they have to.
Charina

Postby wawhitey » 06 14, 2016 •  [Post 3]

We have rattlers here, but im not worried about them really. The vast majority of rattler bites are on males ages 18-40, in the hand/arm, so yeah. Im now carrying shot cartridges for my handguns though, cause id like to get some good snake skins for my brother since he makes longbows. Ran into a real big MEAN gopher snake behind my house last month. Took a video of it hissing at me real loud and pretending to be a rattler. Left him alone to do his thing. We also have yellow bellied racers and rubber boas here. Thats all that i know of anyway. Nothing venomous but the rattlers. Heres a little juvenile yellow bellied racer that was hanging out by my tent during elk season last september. Ill post a pic of the gopher snake next time i get somewhere with a good enough phone signal to resize.
Attachments
index-2.jpeg
index-2.jpeg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 40897 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 14, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I use to carry a snake charmer 410,.. only used it on upland, and ditch lions ;)

Ive seen 5 desert rattlers in my life. Scouting or hunting 4 in a 15 mile diameter area that I hunted.
One was during the archery season. I was going to sit to glass,.. who-ah Everytime the snake let me know it was there at about 8-10 feet.
Another my wife and I we checking out a dry water tank,.. she way freaked out.
My biggest fear hunting the desert(other than breaking my legs in the rocks :shock: then waiting till Monday for my buddy to find me ) was a snake working its way into the tent at night.
The bottom door was always zipped shut
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I do not think I have seen a rattler at 5,000 feet or above in the area I hunt. I don't care for them, when on the rare occasion I am at lower elevations hunting. Usually snakes are no problem but I am careful when I hunt some areas. Buzz tail snakes were much more common where I worked south of Twisp Washington. Sometimes we could hear them crawling off as we hiked through the brush.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mottlet » 06 15, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Growing up in Mississippi, I've hunted and fished around snakes my whole life. Not as many where I hunt now in Virginia, but there's definitely some timber rattlers up in the rocks on these mountains. Copperheads are fairly ubiquitous anywhere below the Mason-Dixon it seems. Hell, rattlers are dang near tame compared to the moccasins (cottonmouth) I grew up with, and you could put MOST copperheads in your pocket! :twisted: When I was 15, I stepped over an eastern diamondback stretched across a trail that was so big I thought it was a log. Never buzzed, never even got that antsy. Just moved off. Pretty slowly as I recall. I never even saw his head, but was pretty freaked once I realized what had just happened. But yeah, we just learned to watch where we walked (and got reminders when we forgot!)

Had a lab when I was teenager that got popped three times by copperheads, all in the face. Why she wouldn't stop trying to kiss snakes, I'll never know. But by the last time, we didn't even call the vet; just gave her a couple benadryl and kept an eye on her to make sure the swelling went down.
mottlet

Postby Chaza402 » 06 15, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Ill second that mottlet, Ive never run into any snake like the ole cottonmouth. Those bastards see you in the woods or hear you up the creek and they will come right over and try to take a bite out of you! If any of you out there who aren't from the deep south plan on going turkey hunting or early season whitetailing watch where you step and set up. Too many times we've had snakes (good and Bad) slither into the double bull- luckily we saw them before they saw us!
Chaza402

Postby jmez » 06 17, 2016 •  [Post 8]

A lot of rattlesnakes out here. Both on the prairie and in the Black Hills. I see a few a year but don't really worry much about them or take any special precautions. They won't bother you if you leave them alone.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby pointysticks » 06 21, 2016 •  [Post 9]

i love how i legs and they dont.

i'm a billion times faster than they are..and my brain is huge compared to theirs. i keep alert and give them plenty of room. zero issues.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby 8upbowhunter » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Timber rattlers, cottonmouths and cooper heads down here. Been around them my whole life and never really bothered me until I almost stepped on a big rattler 3-4 years ago scouting deer. Probably an hours walk to my 4 wheeler then another hour or so to a hospital. I was tought as a youngster to be aware where you stepped and put your hands but never did anything special until after that incident. I now wear snake boots when out in the woods in warm weather.

8upbowhunter
>>>----------->
8upbowhunter

Postby six » 06 26, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Hunted 10 years ago at 7000 feet. My buddy got an elk down .5 miles off the road. We took the lanterns, packs, etc down and broke down the elk. We were coming out with the first load at approximately 11 pm. As we were climbing back up to the road I heard a tic tic tic tic. My first though was what was a grass hopper doing out at this time. I had never heard a rattler before. I soon realized it wasn't a grass hopper. A small rattler was curled up underneath a stone ledge and he was just letting me know he was there. I backed off and took a different line back toward the truck.

I do check my sleeping bag every night before I crawl in.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby pointysticks » 06 26, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I see way more rattle snakes while mtn biking.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby wawhitey » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 13]

The most fearsome snake of all, the deadly rubber boa! Widely known as a man eater, this vicious monster can attain nearly 3ft in length and will coil itself into a ball to display its deadly dangerousness!
Attachments
rsz_img952016062695193553.jpg
rsz_img952016062695193553.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 40765 times
wawhitey

Postby Charina » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Ah! My handle's namesake! Looks like a baby born last fall. Probably hasn't eaten its first meal yet, despite being 10 months old. I often tell people I'll give them $100 if a rubber boa will bite them. Its just not in their defensive arsenal. Very interested in where it was found if you don’t mind letting me know via pm.
Charina

Postby wawhitey » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 15]

Charina wrote:Ah! My handle's namesake! Looks like a baby born last fall. Probably hasn't eaten its first meal yet, despite being 10 months old. I often tell people I'll give them $100 if a rubber boa will bite them. Its just not in their defensive arsenal. Very interested in where it was found if you don’t mind letting me know via pm.

My friend found it at his dads house around cle elum washington couple days ago. It was laying in wait for its next human victim. Insatiable man eaters!
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 16]

Gopher snake in my yard. Wish i could post the video of him hissing at me. Not the friendliest critter.
Attachments
rsz_20160515_144157_39248.jpg
rsz_20160515_144157_39248.jpg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 40759 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:Gopher snake in my yard. Wish i could post the video of him hissing at me. Not the friendliest critter.

Dean, upload the vid to you tube and then you can post it on the forum. I'd like to see it ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 18]

Never uploaded anything to youtube before but i got it figured out somehow. Not the greatest video, just recorded with my phone for a minute so i could take a still pic out of it, but you can sure hear it hissing. It was shaking its tail to impersonate a rattler too, but cant see thst in the vid.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 19]

Wow! That gopher snake has a baaaaaad attitude.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 20]

Friend just found this guy today. Standard hissing bad attitude.
Attachments
IMG_20160701_175834-1.jpg
IMG_20160701_175834-1.jpg (453.2 KiB) Viewed 40732 times
wawhitey

Postby Charina » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 21]

We have a captive born bull snake (Midwest cousin to gophers) my daughter has nicknamed psycho. 6 ft and size of a paper towel tube. Scares the pi $$ out of the toughest of men with her convincing hissing and false strikes. Pituophis are entertaining! Seems every once in a while you find a docile one though. They can be pretty quickly tamed - well, except for psycho. But gophers are mostly bluff, a little bite.
Charina

Postby wawhitey » 07 11, 2016 •  [Post 22]

So yesterday morning a friend and i went out and did about a 7 mile hike to pull one of my cameras. On the way we were talking about rattlesnakes, and how we both were carrying snake loads for our sidearms hoping to get some skins (sorry charina.) Anyway, i drop him off at his house after, and i get home, and shortly before my cougar incident i get a text from him. His dogs were freaking out barking at something "buzzing under the porch." He got down there and moved an old tire and came face to face with this guy. Pumped a few snake loads into it, game over.
Attachments
20160710_173808-1.jpg
20160710_173808-1.jpg (546.73 KiB) Viewed 40707 times
wawhitey

Snakes!

Postby Marshmstr » 07 11, 2016 •  [Post 23]

My nephew...4.....got bit by a cottonmouth 2 weeks, he had to spend 3 days in piediatric icu....multiple rounds/viles of antivenom was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Marshmstr

Postby wawhitey » 07 11, 2016 •  [Post 24]

Wow, good thing the kid lived! Hell when i was 4 id wuss out if a yellowjacket stung me! I hear that antivenin is outrageously expensive.
wawhitey

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 07 14, 2016 •  [Post 25]

Glad to hear the kid is ok. I can't seem to figure out how to attach a picture. I killed two rattle snakes in the eastern part of North Carolina while hanging a bear stand. Shot the one and then noticed the other one coming around a tree. There is also a lot of copper heads around. I kill any poisons snake see. I know they have there purpose but not around me.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby twinkieman » 07 16, 2016 •  [Post 26]

We do have rattlers here in Northern California, and I agree, they aren't a huge problem. There was one particular one around 30 years ago, that really got my attention. I was turkey hunting, and hadn't heard a tom that morning. I walked up behind a huge boulder, and was glassing a long open flat for about 2 minutes, and the guy with me said Marc, your standing on a snake, I said Yeah right, that's real funny. I then looked down, and he wasn't joking! I then broke the world high jump record in a non Olympic event. Michael Jordan had nothing on me that day... And they say white men can't jump :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 26, 2016 •  [Post 27]

:lol: :lol: :lol: .... We ran into a rattlesnake last year and it's no joke what a person is capable of
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 07 29, 2016 •  [Post 28]

Elkhunttoo wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: .... We ran into a rattlesnake last year and it's no joke what a person is capable of

Adrenaline is a funny thing. I can think of a couple times ive jumped bears at kissing distance. Gun just flys into my hand quick enough to make me think idve been a legendary old west gunslinger. Cant do it near that fast if i try without the oh $*** factor.
wawhitey

Postby bald9eagle » 08 08, 2016 •  [Post 29]

Between the hundreds of days I spent wading backwater sloughs fishing and 25 years of turkey hunting it is a wonder I've never been bite.

Probably the scariest experience with a cottonmouth was during a frog gigging trip with my dad and bro. We had walked into thigh deep water in a swampy area full of swamp grass. We split up and started hunting the croakers. My light came across a monster cottonmouth that was about 8 feet from where we walked past.

Me-"Hey there's a snake over here."
Dad- "Well kill it."
Me - "But I've got the short gig!"
Bro - "I'll get it."
Bro - "Dad. You better get this one."

After we triple gigged that big sucker dad said "Let's get the hell outta here!"
bald9eagle

Postby Steve G » 08 09, 2016 •  [Post 30]

Mostly I treat snakes the same as I do sharks when in the ocean. I don't think about either much at all unless I see them and then observe them with interest while keeping a safe distance. Very cool animals.
Steve G

Postby lamrith » 08 09, 2016 •  [Post 31]

Phantom16 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of snakes, poisonous or not. Around my property in WA State, I have the worlds largest population of garter snakes for some reason (I kid you not, it's a bumper year for snakes at my place)... Even though they make me jump a bit while out doing yard/property work when we cross paths, we co-exist in relative harmony as I think they help keep my mole population in check ;) .
Now, those other snakes... the ones that have long pointy teeth and strike, can keep their distance from me! I've lived, and hunted, in a few places that have poisonous snakes but as of today, I don't hunt where poisonous snakes dwell.

How many of you cats hunt where there are poisonous snakes? Do you feel having to be vigilant for fanged critters on the ground takes away from your hunting experience/success? Do you take any additional protective precautions while hunting in snake country (Crocodile Dundee boots, lol)? Just curious....

I just think you are a magnet for them is all, we saw a bunch scouting last weekend as I recall.. Count yourself lucky I did not dive into brush and catch that second one.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby wawhitey » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 32]

This photogenic little dude was posted up right next to my front door.
Attachments
20170607_103735-800x800.jpg
20170607_103735-800x800.jpg (290.28 KiB) Viewed 39607 times
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 33]

This thread should probably be in virtual campfire. Just sayin.
wawhitey

Postby jmez » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 34]

wawhitey wrote:This thread should probably be in virtual campfire. Just sayin.

Not sure I agree. I leave them alone unless there is a poisonous one around my house, they get the shovel. That said, I do not like any of them. They are all 15 foot long and mean as far as I'm concerned. They qualify as "Big Game" as I've never seen a small one!
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby saddlesore » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 35]

When growing up in SW PA,we had those big 6-7 foot black snakes.Scared the heck out of me,but those little 2 ft long copperheads were worse.
Now at 7600 feet I see an occasional garder snake.When I first moved to Colo Sprgs, Iivded south of town.There were a lot of praire rattlers and bull snakes. I didn't like either of them
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 36]

Rattlesnake anti venom cost $1500 per dose. The bites are useually treated very aggressively and a series of six doses is the norm for a total of $9000. That's just the price of the anti venom not to mention the doctor and hospital cost. So the pain to the pocketbook is almost as bad as the pain on the bite. :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby Charina » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 37]

Nice T. sirtalis there wawhitey. I miss the garter variety of the PNW.

>>>---WW----> wrote:So the pain to the pocketbook is almost as bad as the pain on the bite. :o

I have a friend that was envenomated that might disagree with that sentiment. He described it as if his whole arm (bite on hand) was in a fire and he couldn't take it out. 30 min hike out to his car, and 20 min back to civilization. Pain all that time, and then some.

Of course, the type of venomous snake, and the individual bite varies. Copperhead? Not so terrible (and rarely fatal), so $9k+ might be as bad or worse. But then again, they typically don't use anti-venon for copperheads. Mojave Rattlesnake? You darn well better be close to a hospital with appropriate anti-venon.

Also, need to remember that not all bites from a venomous snake result in envenomation. Some credible estimates put the rate as high as 50% for "dry" bites. 25%-50% is a commonly referred to range of bites that are "dry". To a venomous snake, venom is a very valuable resource that very well may be needed for a meal coming down the trail an hour after an encounter with you.

And don't forget, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Well, for most people anyway. :lol: They really don't want an encounter, so give them space and there usually won't be any issue.
Charina

Postby Roosiebull » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 38]

wawhitey wrote:The most fearsome snake of all, the deadly rubber boa! Widely known as a man eater, this vicious monster can attain nearly 3ft in length and will coil itself into a ball to display its deadly dangerousness!

I would love to find one of them in my life, such cool snakes!

nothing dangerous around me, and I like snakes, I have found 2 western ringnecks on the coast, that was pretty cool. other than that, garter snakes are all we have. I put boards in my yard during summer, because my daughter like to check them daily to find snakes :D my wife doesn't like snakes...

when I go east, we always go looking for snakes, I would like to find one big buzz tail to try eating, keep the hide, and do something with the head (likely have it beetled) other than that, I will not bother them, they are cool critters that do far more good than bad.

I think people who are so scared of snakes they feel they need to kill every one they come in contact with are lame sissies, they should stay home where it's safe ;) I understand keeping your distance because you don't care for them, but killing them because you are scared of them is dumb.
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 39]

I'm sure not a lame sissy and I don't know of anyone who things I am. You need to watch who you call a sissy. I kill every poisonous snake I come across. It is impossible to keep your distance all the time and most bites are from people coming up on them without knowing. These little praraie rattlers we have here will come to you if you are not aware of them. So will a sidewinder and a cotton mouth. I baled enough copperheads in hay and found them under the bales when picking up hay in the field to last a life time and lost a few dogs to them also. When my kids were growing up in NM, I sure didn't want the getting bit either. It's not fear,it is keeping me and mine safe.
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 40]

I believe hes calling people who kill any snake, even non venomous ones, (a name that may be not appropriate for this forum). Id have to agree. A gopher snake or garter snake cant hurt you. Any grown adult man afraid of a 3ft long, non venomous snake may be a bit over cautious, perhaps?
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 41]

I don't kill all snakes,but it is wrong saying a nonvenomus snake can't hurt you. Big black snakes,bull snakes and probably even smaller snakes have foul dirty mouths .Their bites are punctures and infections are bad from them. I remember when I was growing up, a big black snake lived in the barn at a Boy Scout camp. All were told to leave it alone. However on day it must have fallen out of the rafters and a boy was bitten. He spent two weeks in a hospital fighting the infection. Almost all snakes will sure as hell bite you

I am not one of them, but some people have an inordinant fear of all snakes. Come across a big bull snake that is colored like a diamond back and you can't see is head or tail and it will make your heart beat pretty fast. They will coil ,hiss, and strike at you faster than you can determine they are not venomous. If you live in rattle snake , copperhead, or cotton mouth country,you don't go around picking up every snake you see.

I have ridden a lot of rank mules,but have known big tough guys 6'+ , 220 #'s were afraid to crawl on them and you would sure as heck get knock on your butt if you called them such names.
saddlesore

Postby Charina » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 42]

I've been bit thousands of times (not a typo - thousands) by a couple dozen species of snake and lizards. Never once had even slight sign of infection. That includes some pretty nasty feeding bites from 7-8 ft boas.

And medical statistics don't bear out that most envenomations occur when unaware of snakes. Perhaps in certain farming endeavors, but not even close overall. Most bites occur from screwing with them rather than leaving them alone.
Charina

Postby wawhitey » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 43]

Charina wrote:I've been bit thousands of times (not a typo - thousands) by a couple dozen species of snake and lizards. Never once had even slight sign of infection. That includes some pretty nasty feeding bites from 7-8 ft boas.

And medical statistics don't bear out that most envenomations occur when unaware of snakes. Perhaps in certain farming endeavors, but not even close overall. Most bites occur from screwing with them rather than leaving them alone.

But snakes are danger! Raawr!
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 39510 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 44]

That mister, is snake harassment... I'm calling somebody...............
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 45]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:That mister, is snake harassment... I'm calling somebody...............

Better call the snake police! They will aressssssst me!
Attachments
1DsTamr7XN-4.png
1DsTamr7XN-4.png (51.74 KiB) Viewed 39504 times
wawhitey

Postby Charina » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 46]

I've helped a handful of people with extreme fear of snakes overcome it to the point they are holding one of my pets. I've been around them my whole life, so the phobia itself is foreign to my personal perspective, but I do have a fair bit of experience working with people that are irrationally fearful. I'm not sure I'd term any of them as sissies, candya, snowflakes, or any other such term intended to be derogatory and degrading.

First of all, it's casting stones when one lives in a glass house themselves. I don't care if it's snakes, spiders, commitment, being vulnerable, vanity, cigarette butts out windows ( :mrgreen: ), whatever, everyone has some sort of irrational and dysfunctional weakness they could/should overcome. So what if it's snakes? One aspect of irrationality or ignorance doesn't define a person as a whole.

Second, there are some very valid reasons for irrational fears of snakes. I dare say that if elk came in all sorts of patterns, and some of those elk would kill you if they could (to defend their lives if you got too close) rather than run from you, I can guarantee a large subset of society (esp those ignorant of identifying which ones are dangerous) would have some serious fears of elk. And perhaps shoot any one they see on sight for just-in-case self defense. Its just basic fact that there are species of snakes that are flat out dangerous. And unless one becomes educated (anyone ever had a snake identification class in public education system???) on identification, it is simply human nature (hardwired) to pigeonhole all snakes into a category that causes fight/flight response. Its a basic survival instinct. It's not about being sissy, its our biological nature that helps us survive. Ignorance necessitates falling back on basal survival instincts rather than using our frontal cortex to manage our responses.

Fears are exacerbated by the plethora of misinformation. Such as dirty mouths and infection that I felt the need to counteract Saddlesore. Sorry, but that just doesn't jive with my understanding, literature I've read, and personal experience, and repeating such information does nothing more than sustain and perpetuate foundless fears. Perhaps somewhere the methodology used by the komodo dragon (sepsis introduced via bite) was misapplied across all reptiles? But it highlights that there is a basis for people's irrational fears - misinformation. And that misinformation has been perpetuated in society for centuries, starting with stories of Eve and the "evil" serpent. I dare say that if everyone wee genuinely educated on snakes, they may not warm up to them, but a huge part of their fears would be alleviated. They could then engage their frontal cortex rather than rely on brain stem to control their perceptions and reactions.
Charina

Postby Charina » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 47]

Roosiebull wrote:
wawhitey wrote:The most fearsome snake of all, the deadly rubber boa! Widely known as a man eater, this vicious monster can attain nearly 3ft in length and will coil itself into a ball to display its deadly dangerousness!

I would love to find one of them in my life, such cool snakes!

Head east! On the western slopes of the coastal range there just isn't sufficient sunlight reaching the ground floor for thermoregulation necessary for reproduction. They will inhabit clearcuts in the central portions of the coastal range, but really, heading inland to the interior valleys, or Cascade foothills is your better bet. Either way, you're unlikely to find them without artificial cover, like you have already in your yard for the garters. Where you have found ringnecks may be suitable habitat for boas. Garters don't need as much warmth to reproduce as either boas or ringnecks, so they can be found on the coast, even up by Newport and further north where there are no other reptile species.
Charina

Postby lamrith » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 48]

Thanks Charina, nice to see another herpetologist trying to educate. Snakes for sure get a bad wrap.

My mom and I were the ones when I was in grade school that would bring in our snakes and show the class to try and break down some of those fears. We had a columbian rainbow boa that was the most docile and mellow snake I have ever seen, 54" long and she would curl up around your neck and just chill. She finally passed away after we had her over 30yrs. Then we had a big Red Tail Boa, he was a handful at 7ft5" and 51# when we got rid of him. He ended up at National Zoo in Wash DC and was used as a trainer snake to get new staff members train on handling large snakes.

What I find funny is the information like snake bite are infectious etc. But then loads of people and pet stores have Iguanas and nothing is said about their issues. Iguana's carry salmonella and their bites tend to get minor infections much more often. Give it legs and all is good!

Always liked you avatar, never owned a Gecko but thought about it a few times.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Roosiebull » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 49]

saddlesore wrote:I don't kill all snakes,but it is wrong saying a nonvenomus snake can't hurt you. Big black snakes,bull snakes and probably even smaller snakes have foul dirty mouths .Their bites are punctures and infections are bad from them. I remember when I was growing up, a big black snake lived in the barn at a Boy Scout camp. All were told to leave it alone. However on day it must have fallen out of the rafters and a boy was bitten. He spent two weeks in a hospital fighting the infection. Almost all snakes will sure as hell bite you

I am not one of them, but some people have an inordinant fear of all snakes. Come across a big bull snake that is colored like a diamond back and you can't see is head or tail and it will make your heart beat pretty fast. They will coil ,hiss, and strike at you faster than you can determine they are not venomous. If you live in rattle snake , copperhead, or cotton mouth country,you don't go around picking up every snake you see.

I have ridden a lot of rank mules,but have known big tough guys 6'+ , 220 #'s were afraid to crawl on them and you would sure as heck get knock on your butt if you called them such names.

Horses bite too ;)
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 09 01, 2017 •  [Post 50]

Roosiebull wrote:Horses bite too ;)

I don't ride/have horses.My mules don't bite
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 09 01, 2017 •  [Post 51]

my brother in law is a wrangler for the BLM horse ranch, they have a bunch of burros too, one bit him on the shoulder pretty good :D they don't all bite, but some do....I guess kinda like snakes :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 09 01, 2017 •  [Post 52]

just givin' ya a hard time. I certainly don't agree with killing any snakes that are not an immediate threat, it reminds me of the shark slaughter after jaws came out....people got scared of sharks, so they started killing as many as they could.

to me, that type of behavior showcases the poor impact humans have, and have had on this planet. we have some control to keep a healthy balance on earth, but we keep going through these phases of messing stuff up for no reason.

I just personally don't like the mentality of killing animals we are afraid of, just because we are afraid of them. we as hunters are supposed to be stewards of the land (just my opinion, I know we all have one)
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 01 15, 2018 •  [Post 53]

Aaawww... hims a cuddly widdle guy
Attachments
IMG_20180105_170036_231_1515190000258-800x800.jpeg
IMG_20180105_170036_231_1515190000258-800x800.jpeg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 38512 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 54]

Yak :/
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 55]

wawhitey wrote:Aaawww... hims a cuddly widdle guy

awesome!

I have always wanted to find one, apparently they are around, but I have never seen one. where do you typically see them? (habitat)
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 56]

Roosiebull wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Aaawww... hims a cuddly widdle guy

awesome!

I have always wanted to find one, apparently they are around, but I have never seen one. where do you typically see them? (habitat)

Dryer area, pine dorests with big forest floor debris. This one is my friends pet rubber boa that he found on his dads property near cle elum, wa. You might want to pm charina if you really are interested in rubber boas. That dude is the expert. His user name is actually the genus of the species, charina bottae.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 57]

Lookin for bears today, found some rattlers instead.
Attachments
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 16802 times
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 58]

I haven’t seen any rattlers since my last post on this tread

When younger (1980?) my brother and a buddy collected a whole bunch of rattlers in Wyoming
They were hampered by snow but still made money

Thanks for the show Wa.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 59]

Are those snakes still alive Whitey? :D
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 60]

Swede wrote:Are those snakes still alive Whitey? :D

The one in the background is. It saw me shoot its buddy and slithered back under the rock. Had an interesting day today. First thf rattlers, then i found a real goofy muley shed, then i called in z nice boar to about 15 yards and rolled him. I was going to retrieve the rattler on my way out, but the bear changed my plans. Now im thinking how cool would it be to do a shoulder pedestal mount with the bear, the rattler, and thd shed. I just may go retrieve the snake in thf morning, but man im hurting now. Been a long day. I shot that bear way too deep, especially for this heat.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 61]

Found my first rattler in June while scouting in Idaho. My uncle dang near stepped on it. We had just carefully scaled a large rocky face, and got into the cool timber. Definitely not where I was expecting to run into a rattlesnake, learn something new every day. We saw this one, moved about 20 feet and got buzzed by another one, and then stumbled onto a big Bull Snake a little further down the hill. Pretty nerve racking walking in knee high brush knowing you're in a snake pit. This bugger BARELY rattled. If I wasn't looking right at him, I wouldn't have known he was rattling.

org rattlesnake - Copy.jpg
org rattlesnake - Copy.jpg (240.51 KiB) Viewed 16760 times

Two years ago on after a couple warm mid October days my partner ran into a couple on a rock outcropping sunning themselves. They let him know they were there. I have never really even considered snakes during rifle seasons for deer or elk, but I do know they're around.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 62]

Congratulations on the bear Whitey. I think the bear/snake mount would be great. It would really be unique.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 08 09, 2019 •  [Post 63]

We have big city park in town ( Garden of the Gods). Big rock country. Every year 5-6 people get bit by a rattlesanke and about the same number of dogs.Usually the snake is laying in the weeds/grass just right along the trail or near a rock that someone has to step over and they get bit before even knowing the snake is there.They are not trying to handle it or such. These types of snake strike without rattling as they are caught by surprise.

I am not afraid of them but venomous snakes, coyotes, my lions, and other such creatures have no place in highly populated areas.Then you have the problem that Florida is facing now. People get these pythons,boas ,etc and when they get too big, they turn them loose in he swamps. Now Florida is over run with 15-18 ft snakes devouring all wildlife and they are paying people to hunt them down and kill them.

I go dove hunting most every year ,Sept 1, out on the eastern end of Colorado which is all plains. If I encounter a rattle snake, it dies. Ranchers mostly put them in the same classification as coyotes and tell me if I don't kill every one I see,I don't hunt there
saddlesore