Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunt swap / meet up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunt swap / meet up

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I recently got back from my first elk hunt. I had fun but being solo, it would have been tough if I had killed an elk. I decided that I'd like to either bring a friend or meet up with someone the next time I go. Meeting someone with more local knowledge would be a benefit.

Anyway, it got me thinking that it would make sense to swap hunts between members. I hunt whitetails in Pennsylvania and Vermont every year. I also have some experience hunting deer and bear from a base camp in the Adirondacks. Beyond that, we have good grouse, woodcock and turkey hunting in New England and in parts of Pennsylvania. It's not western quality but some folks may be interested. If so, maybe we can set something up like come out here and hunt out of my deer camp and, if you find my company satisfactory, I come meet you for some National Forest elk or mule deer.

I am also interested in caribou, Midwest pheasants and quail among other things. I'd be interested in meeting up to do a trip for these. If anyone else is interested, let's make it happen. As long as you aren't a Kansas, Oklahoma, UNC, Iowa basketball fan or a Montana Griz football fan that would be offended by my Villanova t-shirt, we'll get along fine.
VT Sasquatch

Re: Hunt swap / meet up

Postby lamrith » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Always nicer to hunt with someone else. Both safety and learning/brainstorming thru a hunt. I wish you luck finding some hunting partners.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Ben Nicholson » 09 30, 2016 •  [Post 3]

You had me until the Iowa basketball comment (Go Hawks!). I was thinking about tossing out the idea of a Wapititalk elk camp for next year. Nothing too organized, just a base camp or something... Just a thought.
Ben Nicholson

Postby VT Sasquatch » 10 03, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I am a die hard fan. I see the signs for the big state universities when driving cross country and it brings back sports memories. It's interesting to see where the teams come from.

I'd be up for that. The East is nothing near as good but I could possibly host in Vermont (campsites, my cabin is really small). An elknut base camp would be cool.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Dorobuta » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

It would be nice if it could happen somewhere with OTC tags for elk, or at least a high draw rate....
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby Scott69 » 12 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I've been researching a ton thru gohunt.I'd suggest unit 12 1st rifle season.You can draw that as a 2nd choice on your application so you can still build points.It has more elk then pretty much anywhere.Yes,there will be ALOT of hunters but imo,that will keep the elk moving.The success rates are pretty decent as well.
I'm looking at that tag because I want to build my points again.Having a base camp with some guys from this site would be cool.I'd probably spike in with a small tent a few days to start the season.Sure would be nice to have a place to come back to and exchange some imfo,and have a comfortable base camp.
Scott69