Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Another moose hunting story

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Another moose hunting story

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Six years ago while watching a larger moose in a willow thicket on a ATV and camping trip my youngest daughter asked “why don’t we hunt moose”. Every ride and most bear hunts we would see a handful of moose. The next spring we put in for moose. Our youngest daughter drew once-in-a life-time Idaho moose tag that year.
The season was long running from the last day in August until later mid-November. Our first hunt was four days, then some Friday and Saturday hunts . We figured we saw 25 different mature bulls hunting for 10-12 days.
We have notices a substantial decline in moose number the past few year. Many place the blame on winter wolf depredation. Last year I drew the O-I-L bull moose tag in the same unit. Seeing less than a dozen bull moose though Sept elk hunt, October and 2 hunts in November. I certainly didn’t see the number of larger bull moose we had seen over the years.
This year my middle daughter drew the tag..
Unfortunately From June on we saw one small bull moose. Season was looking bleak. Archery elk hunting we never saw a moose.
Saturday morning I texted my wife at 7:00 AM . My daughter and I are just waiting for a bit more light, and we began glassing for moose
The sun just broke the horizon and we saw a cow and calf. A mile further we spoke to some deer hunters. They hadn’t seen any moose. We turned the pickup around to glass the location of the cow and calf. I pulled to the side of the Forest Service road and this funky bull moose ran across the road. Julie was snapping pictures.
“Ill take that one” The bull stopped. A 5x 3 bull moose
I gave Julie instructions for the stalk and told her to run over the top of the hill then over to a particular tree. I knew I wouldnbe able to cover that much ground in a short time. I could see both Julie and the Bull Moose. They could not see each other.
Julie stepped out from the tree the bull stopped. We now suspect the bull saw my daughters shadow on a tree near the moose.
It all happened fast, I saw the bull kick, and take off running, then a walk, then walking down hill, dropped its head, and laid down.
“ I think I got him”
I grabbed the rifle and ran up to my daughter. The bull still had his head up, She thought the shot was a bit back. I took a couple pics of my daughter with the downed bull in the background and sent the pics to mom.
I ran back to the truck ffor my shotgun. I was the gun bearer, and back up; we walked up to 8 yards from the bull, my daughter shot another arrow. The bull reared and tipped over. 7: 48;the hunt was over.
The bull was similar to the finger bull I stalked last year , however this bull was smaller
A couple hours later a fellow checked on us. We ranged the shot. 18 yards. The moose traveled 58 yards,.. and a better statistic, the bull was 62 yards to the road
One of those proud Dad moments

2016-10-08 07-45-50.jpg

Nearest ranch is 6 miles away, and we had cell service.
Sent this pic to mom
2016-10-08 08-06-32 (Small).jpg

2016-10-08 08-25-02 (Small).jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Another moose hunting story

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2016 •  [Post 2]

43 lb draw at 18 yards arrow slipped between the 5th and 6th rib from the back G-5 Montec 100 gn Nugent Goldtips
coming back out!!!!
2016-10-08 09-14-33 (Small).jpg

the little buck knife wasnt able to finish the job :lol:
2016-10-08 09-09-30 (Small).jpg
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2016 •  [Post 3]

That's awesome. Congrats to the young moose hunter and her guide!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 17, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Congrats!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Phantom16 wrote:That's awesome. Congrats to the young moose hunter and her guide!

You cant believe how hard the guide worked on this one.
In some ways I was glad the hunt ended so quickly,.. not my style generally.
Where is the exhausted smilie
Lefty

Postby Old school » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Congrats - Lots of memories for dad and daughter there. We saw a lot of moose on our elk hunt in Colorado this year. Exciting to say the least.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby zpd307 » 10 21, 2016 •  [Post 7]

dennis, love it!!!!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Great story and congratulation to your daughter and her excellent guide. :D
Swede