Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hart Mountain

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hart Mountain

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2016 •  [Post 1]

You renegades have not really upset me, but I am leaving tomorrow again for a little over a week. I will be deer hunting the Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge. I promise I will not nauseate you too much if I am successful. You will need a strong stomach though. If I am not successful, you will get a painfully written tear stained letter. Nothing new there. Wish me luck. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hart Mountain

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 30, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Go get um Swede! Looking forward to hearing about your hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby stringunner » 11 07, 2016 •  [Post 3]

So what is it, a tear stained letter or boastful Swede?

A birdie told me you let a quiver full of arrows fly? :D
stringunner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Been wondering how his hunt went.
WapitiTalk1

Postby stringunner » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I think he was due home yesterday or today. We should be hearing soon.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Well, Aaaahhh. I could not seal the deal. The hunting was great and I saw many good to very good bucks. I saw just one huge buck.

I shot a very nice buck. Unfortunately I could not find it. I know the hit was good as both my brother and I could see the arrow sticking out of its side as it ran off. The hit was just a little far back, but right in the middle elevation. We searched for the buck for hours to no avail. I looked the next day some too. The blood trail was spotty and the buck broke off the extended shaft after about 250 yards. That totally ended the blood trail and the brush and tall grass made for a very difficult search.
I am saddened to the core but Hart Mountain was a great place to hunt and the hot springs are a wonderful spot to freshen up after a day in the field. I would totally recommend the place to anyone that wants a great November hunting experience. I don't think the August hunts are all that great, so choose the late season. The wait will be longer for a tag, but worth it.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Welcome back to the land of daily showers, freshly laundered drawers ;), soft pillows, and sleep in mornings Swede! Sounds like you had a great trip and saw a lot of respectable deer on your hunt. Sorry you lost one but we all know it happens.
WapitiTalk1

Postby stringunner » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Sorry John. That's too bad. I'm anxious to hear more stories. Sounds like you will be a good guide for me if I draw that tag in future! :D Were there any Hart Mt. babes in the hot springs? Thought you might return with a similar story to your cousin Jim that he shared about his run in with one on our September adventure. :o :lol:
stringunner

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Stringunner, I think you could hang out at the hot springs and see a few naked women every day. Just a guess, but if you do, it will be hard to fill your deer tag. :lol: I went in after dark and used my dark blue boxer shorts for a swimsuit. Nobody noticed, or at least they were polite enough not to say anything.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Stringunner, just let me know when you get a tag. I do think we could get you a head start on some nice bucks. It would be good to go with you if things work out. I would like to go back myself sometime, but, unless I am extremely blessed, will be an old geezer before I draw again. Don't say what comes to mind about "will be an old geezer".
We saw nice, not huge, bucks every day. We saw more bucks than other hunters were reporting seeing. Those out on the open flats are a waste of time to chase. There is just not enough cover to get close. They will tease you and drive you nuts. There is a lot of glassing with mostly binoculars.
I would highly recommend you expand your shooting range to the max. I was not able to expand mine enough. I was always wishing I could effectively shoot about 20 yards farther.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 11 09, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Sounds like a tough choice, hot springs or shooting bucks? ;)
Definitely looking forward to picking your brain next time we are together about this tag. Loooking at the late season Hart Mt or late season metoliuos tag. Not sure I have enough points yet to draw either one. I think I have 8 points right now. Glad to know you have some insider info though on the Hart Mt. area now.
stringunner