Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery late season deer, or early antelope?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery late season deer, or early antelope?

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was really debating which hunt to put in for. There is a likely chance to draw either. but it would be one-or-the-other.
I had been leaning towards antelope. I just like the desert. But those big riverbottom whitetails have a whole lot draw too. Driving to fish the past two weekends I had seen large herds a 200 plus antelope, often bedded near the road or in the ditch in the deep snow.
The deer hunt would be a much longer hunt, going into December, and I could pull that off with a morning goose hunt, evening deer hunt every Saturday.

Antelope on the water seems like more of a sure thing.
However a huge migration of antelope left the deep snows of the high desert and just kept traveling inadvertently crossed the frozen Snake river somewhere or maybe a reservoir. i dont know if it is possible for those antelope to make it back, "where they belong".
Im going to wait and see,.. this winter had been tough on all game, feeding programs have been implemented. Ive seen too many road kill everything.

Too much snow :cry:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Archery late season deer, or early antelope?

Postby wawhitey » 02 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Make sure to give us reports this summer about what level of damage this winter has done to the deer over there. Im not thinking its gonna be good. Right now the yotes can run on top of the snow here, and they seem to be pretty much packing up. Not good for the deer at all.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Saw two coyote carcasses under 100 yards from the road where the antelope were Sunday, someone watching over them ,with a rifle.

My FIL said there has been coote problems i feeding areas near Preston.
I think currently the biggest loss has been from cars
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

After eating antelope and deer, I know which I would hunt. I guess if you can't tell the difference, it doesn't make a difference. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:After eating antelope and deer, I know which I would hunt. I guess if you can't tell the difference, it doesn't make a difference. :D
those white-tail are jerky meat anyway :o

Antelope would be hunting in the heat
Some are saying over 600 antelope and those numbers keep being repeated.I spoke with a tribal officer while my wife and I were watching the antelope. We agrreed we were able to see all of them our count was 350

My wife and I on our Sunday drive had a neat experience;three large groups of antelope totaling around 220 ran past us just 50 feet away. The Tribal officer then told us it was likely feral dogs that pushed them and thats was the reason he was there .
Lefty