Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

oops!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

oops!

Postby Roosiebull » 03 25, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was calling for lions tonight....and I had something happen I did not expect....not sure what was on his mind coming into lion vocals, but it was fun to watch.

my impression of the bear was a pretty decent boar, I think just shy of 300 lbs, but not far from it...probably most days a shooter for me, for sure if I called him in. for sure a solid boar, but not a giant.

he loitered around the call for 5 or 6 minutes until I switched the sound to bear cub fight...he didn't appreciate that :lol: he never spooked, but finally left.

https://youtu.be/4yaPu3-KGrQ
Roosiebull

Re: oops!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

How cool was that! Have you ever had a bear come in to lion sounds before? How far was Mr. Bear when he hung up down on that open strip?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 03 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

never had one come to lion vocals before...from me, the bear was around 100 yds I would guess, he was about 30 yds from the call in the video...maybe 40, he came to about 20 after I turned my phone off.

like any hunting, calling for lions is a blast, but also very low action, I love the anticipation for excitement, and I love all of the unexpected things that happen...it's different than any other hunting I do, but I really enjoy it....back at it tomorrow :mrgreen:
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I think you confused him when you changed calls. I sure know nothing about calling bears or cats. Interesting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

yeah, I changed calls on him 3 or 4 times, just to see how he would react, trying to turn it into a learning experience....I wasn't worried about spooking him.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Predator calling is the best (well outside of calling elk it's the best), you just never know. Thanks for sharing.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L