Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Booking a hunt with an outfitter- Tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Booking a hunt with an outfitter- Tips

Postby Beendare » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I'm a big DIY guy and don't usually book too many hunts with outfitters.

I made a mistake this year that cost me dearly- just passing it on. I booked a hunt with an outfitter for a drop camp moose hunt...and when checking references none of the previous clients that did a drop camp with this outfit called me back. Suspicious, ABSOLUTELY...did i heed the warning...no! I was so focused on this hunt I overlooked the numero uno- get references!

Part of my problem was I knew this was going to be problems [cheap hunt, new guy] and admittedly- arrogance. I thought; just get me into the alaskan wilderness and i will kill a bull and get it out. Ugh, no...for many reasons that aren't germane to the discussion here.

The problems we encountered for example;
zero phone conversations with this outfit after the initial taking of my money.
Very slow response to anything...and then it was short texts from a Spot device.

Stranded in anchorage motel room for 4 1/2 days [though you have to accept some delays in ak- this wasn't weather related but due to poor organization on the outfitters part] Then i was sent up in a mech unsound plane ...and on and on....

I don't want to get into the "Who" it was but focus more on how NOT to have this happen. If you check references on this outfit you will find real quick- they have a few guided hunters that like them...beyond that for drop camps- zero. Buyer Beware; All of these guys talk a good line on the phone selling the hunt....Get references!!!!!!!

Any other tips
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Re: Booking a hunt with an outfitter- Tips

Postby Roosiebull » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

thanks, plan on using this advice in the next couple years....maybe something i could overlook. i have always been very trusting, and have slowly learned that i need to be a bit more attentive when dealing with strangers, talking to a fellow hunter, i could see myself trusting too much. good food for thought, and sorry to hear it didn't go well.
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

We had a bad fishing service when we fished Alaska. Our Captain and mate were fantastic.
At that time we paided the fee for cleaning and shipping fish home.
The morning we were to leave we got a message to pick up our fish. The poor fellow that delivered the message I think suspected something was going on and suggested contacting the Chamber of Commerce.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Beendare » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Well these outfitters count on us hunters not being willing to stand up and say, "I got screwed"...and then they keep getting away it.

In my case on the Alaskan moose drop camp...it wasn't so much the guy was trying to screw me...I know he didn't intend to...but more due to his poor organizational skills. you can't leave someone in a motel room for 4 days and say I didn't expect you so soon when he had the itinerary since April.
___

i had another one...that ended up working out OK for me...but some of the guys in that camp got royally screwed. Its a very long story, the short version; i bought a sheep hunt at the FNAWS auction. The outfitter Tom Shankster dropped me off with a cheap rotted tent that the rainfly was just gone.....and I got special treatment being from FNAWS!

There were a few other guys in camp that didn't get out for over 6 days due to no guides .....maybe never. I've heard some horror stories from that camp....and the flyblown meat he was serving gave me the dry heaves when I saw it. Our tent; I saw an old tent someone left out there flying in and scrounged enough of the fabric along with the duct tape my guide had to keep us somewhat dry.

CHECK EVERY REFERENCE...its our best tool. If they can't come up with refernces to back them [as was the case on my moose dropcamp] then don't go.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I booked a hunt through Cabelas. The price was good and the service was great.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cohunter14 » 10 24, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Beendare wrote:Well these outfitters count on us hunters not being willing to stand up and say, "I got screwed"...and then they keep getting away it.

Beendare, why not share who it was then so you help someone else from getting taken advantage of?
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby Tigger » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I seem to remember you booking a hunt and discussing it here. Sad that it ended this way, but I agree, this information should be shared just like if it was a great experience.
Tigger