Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Well, this is gonna be different....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Well, this is gonna be different....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Heading out for a few Blacktail hunts, with rifle in hand, over the next two weekends (WA general deer season ends on 31 OCT). I have not owned a hunting rifle for geez, close to 30 some years but actually bought one almost two years ago (Weatherby Vanguard 2, .308). I purposely bought a rifle deer tag for WA this year to force me to finally get out and try out the new boomstick. We'll see how this goes. I'm sure I remember which end is the business end on a rifle (the skinny end, right), I can put three rounds in a paper plate at 30 yards so I'm good out to 500, right? :D, and will ensure I wear some flashy orange clothing so the normal rifle hunters know where I'm at and can avoid me. These types of weapons have an internal quiver thing where the arrows are stored, yes (in case I need more than one arrow, err, bullet)? Looking forward to getting out and hunting some very wet WA terrain in search of a BT buck. They just run all around with signs that say "take me, take me", yes? Wish me luck.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Well, this is gonna be different....

Postby Roosiebull » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 2]

First off, I wish you luck!

Be careful, I bought my first rifle in 2010, and have only archery hunted deer one year since. I have a better chance of killing a big one with my bow, and equal chance of filling the tag, but there is just something about rifle hunting blacktail.

It is such a mellow hunt compared to archery elk, and it's just plain fun.

Please keep us posted!
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I used to enjoy going out late Blacktail season in the rain, and looking over 5-10 year old clear cuts. Often I would stop on a log landing, and get out and just wait awhile, looking over the unit. A cup of coffee in hand made it even better. Best wishes RJ.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Black Tail down! ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ