Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitting, waiting for a bear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitting, waiting for a bear

Postby Lefty » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Put the trail cams out earlier in the week and fresh bait.
Heard an elk bugle a hour ago, now I hear wolves.
Do bulls bugle much or at all this time of October?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Sitting, waiting for a bear

Postby wawhitey » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Get away from the bait site and try calling a bear in! Any cheap little rabbit squealer will work. Just be ready for action!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Bulls don't seem to bugle much this late in the year. I have heard them some, but bugling tapers off a lot after September. Even early October seems to be quieter than September.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

agree with Swede, have seen some pretty intense looking rut activity in mid Nov, and early Oct I have seen them go crazy, but around mid Oct they get less vocal. I think I have heard bulls bugle every calendar month, 2 yrs ago watched 2 young bulls fighting pretty hard in Dec, and a rag bull was bugling like crazy chasing cows. watched 2 spikes in the same group a month later pushing on each other pretty hard and a rag bull bugling.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have heard bulls bugle in the Spring, Summer and Fall. I don't remember hearing them bugle in the Winter. That is probably due to them being in the low country off the N.F Forest land at that time. I do not doubt they bugle then, but I was not around them at that time of year. The peak of the bugling is in the rut period, and it tapers off after that.
What may be a coincidence, or could be nothing, I have heard them more in the Spring than late Fall.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Wa
I have a duck call in the atv. I might give that a try.

Pull the hand piece to expose the open reed, wha-lah
Open Reed dieing rabbit..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Bugling in October is from cows coming into estrus again that weren't bred the first time around. I have heard a bull go nuts for several hours while blasting ducks in the same area in October.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 8]

ishy wrote:Bugling in October is from cows coming into estrus again that weren't bred the first time around. I have heard a bull go nuts for several hours while blasting ducks in the same area in October.

I cannot say that is always true from my observations. I have observed bulls bugling in mid and late October where I could see no cows around. They appeared to be out on their own. I cannot say the comment is false, but it sure is questionable from what I have seen. I accused Elknut of driving beyond his headlights. I am going to accuse you of the same. :lol:
Swede