Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2017 buck

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2017 buck

Postby wawhitey » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Posted him in the meatpole, but figured id share a little bit about this. It was an exciting hunt.
So a friend of mine insisted i check out a spot where he saw a big buck. I looked at it and judged it not worth my time. I had been hunting my butt off other places with minimal action. He kept pestering me to hunt this spot, so i finally decided to spend a couple days there just to shut him up.
I arrived at about 3:30pm, saw my first buck chasing immediately, then saw a better one right before dark but failed to move in before the end of shooting light. Now being a bit more optimistic about this location, i stayed the night and got up before dawn.
Before legal light id already glassed up at least 10 does and 2 bucks. One buck was a big studly 5x5, but he was chasing does and i failed to intercept him. Ended up making stalks on 3 bucks that day. This scenario played out for 3 days. Spot big mature trophy buck chasing does, make stalk, fail to intercept. I made 6 or 7 stalks on trophy bucks in just 3 days. I dont believe i spooked a single one, but they were all chasing hard, moving fast, so hard to cover 500-1000 yards to intercept when theyre on the go like that. After reporting to my friend each night what was going on, he came up to help me.
The morning he got there i spotted the first good one of the day. A big 5x? Non typical. Once again failure to intercept in time. Then my friend spotted a big symmetrical 5x5 over a mile away. I went for it, and ended up right on top of him and his doe. Hate to admit it, but i geeked out and cleanly missed him with an offhand shot at relatively close range. I was pretty disgusted with myself, and went back to our glassing point.
Fog and snow rolled in, and couldnt see much. After my failure on the big 10pt i was determined to throw in the towel for the day, and just feel sorry for myself until morning. Friend walked around the bend to look at the one spot that wasnt heavily fogged in. A minute later he came back at a full run. "Get your gun!"
Well, there was this big boy running does, and this time the stars aligned and i filled my tag. He was aged at about 10.5 yrs and taped 159 6/8. Crazy thing is, i saw an easy half dozen bucks of his caliber, and one that was hands down significantly bigger. All in 1 spot in 4 days. It was unreal, like hunting a high fenced deer farm. I guess i dont have to say that im focusing all of my scouting efforts here this year. Hung 4 cams today, hanging 4 more in a few days. Should have pics of some real hogs to post up here after i check cameras.
Most exciting, action packed few days of deer hunting ive ever had. Should have listened to my friend earlier. Wouldnt have ever gotten this buck if it werent for him.
Attachments
IMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3314.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: 2017 buck

Postby Tigger » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Don't post the GPS coordinates on the internet! You better keep it hush-hush around your town. Those types of spots are largely unheard of nowadays. I would like to see another picture next year like this.

Thanks for sharing the backstory. Funny how a spot can not look that good and then.....makes you feel like you need a brushup on deer habitat education, eh? I judged the buck I shot this year based on trail cam pictures in the upper 120s. He scored 150. that was a blow to my deer judging ego!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Awesome buck!!! Looks huge bodied as well.

Ya did good! Sounds like an awesome hunt, and a much needed break from work, congrats on killing a giant!
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Congratulations on a fine buck Whitey. He is definitely a trophy.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Theres a pack of wolves right there in my new honey hole right now, howling. Damn damn damn. :evil:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Sucks about the wolves, but that's a dandy of a buck!!!!
Elkhunttoo