Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bucket List?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bucket List?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

What is on your "bucket list" for what you want to hunt and successfully bag from now till you head to the big hunting grounds in the clouds? 300+ bull elk, 170 WT, full curl BH sheep, Alaskan brown bear, pig MD, marauding bison, wolf, an exotic species? What do you think about harvesting during those last few moments before you start sawing logs at night? ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Bucket List?

Postby RAMMONT » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Not a thing, hunting isn't that important in my life. Don't get me wrong, I do like to hunt, but the kill isn't important to me, I can get a picture or a video to prove that I could have taken the animal. The kill is useful in that I can get meat that I like to eat but the process of figuring out what the animal is doing, why, and where I can find it is the part that I enjoy the most. Hunting isn't a goal or an objective, it's just part of the overall effort to test my abilities in the out-of-doors.
RAMMONT

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I don't know that I have a specific number in terms of score in mind, but I want to shoot both a big elk and big whitetail. The elk would probably be 320+ I am guessing but again, the number isn't as important as the fact that it is "big" in my mind. Whitetail, same thing. Probably over 170 as I have a 150 but rack configuration and attractiveness are more important (ie I have no interest in one of those thin Texas racks). I would like a nice Muley buck as well, but have no idea on what that should "score". Say the equivalent of a 150 whitetail is fine for a muley. I would like to shoot some more nice antelope. I also want to see my kids should some nice critters, but scores don't matter on that so much.

Now other bucket list items that aren't hunting include finding an arrowhead, riding the sleigh through the National Elk Refuge in Jackson Hole and going on a dogsled ride.

As I thought about Rammont's post, I decided I am a little different. I want to shoot a big one. Why? Cuz I want to put it in my office and look at it multiple times every work day. I really enjoy that. I get on a conference call, put my feet up and look at all the mounts. Makes for an enjoyable office for me. Better than having an office full of ding-a-ling coworkers!
Tigger

Postby elkstalker » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Someday I would like to shoot a really nice mullie (I have a couple around 170, but would like a really nice one) and a bull elk I would consider mountable (never shot one over 300). To me whitetails are for eating, and for whatever reason a big whitetail doesn't have the same allure as a big mullie. For right now, while my kids are young and growing up I'll worry about filling the freezer, and if I find a giant I won't hesitate!
elkstalker

Postby Navesgane » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

More experiences for me than the actual animal- calling that bull into 10 yards, putting a 3 hour stalk on a MD from a mile away, anything that gets the blood and adrenaline pumping! But a bull moose and bighorn sheep are definitely on my list!
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby stringunner » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I want to take a bull moose with my bow. That’s on my bucket list for sure.
stringunner

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I dont want to sound pie in the sky dreaming but a 350 bull elk is on my list.
A bear with a bow.
Track down or call in and kill a mt lion.
Two archery bulls in a year.
Archery whitetail
cow moose with a bow. And in reality if Im right there when my wif of daughter get any of those , That counts to me.
Archery hunt until Im at least 75 ( or live till Im 75),

But mostly I just want to hunt more, run a few traps and start fishing again

by stringunner » 12 29, 2017
I want to take a bull moose with my bow. That’s on my bucket list for sure.
Bull moose get bigger when you get close to them. Absolutely no ground shrinkage :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:,,,,,,,Now other bucket list items that aren't hunting include finding an arrowhead, riding the sleigh through the National Elk Refuge in Jackson Hole and going on a dogsled ride.,,,,,,
https://www.jacksonholewy.com/things-to-do/national-elk-refuge/ then drive t the east side and look at the bighorn sheep
If you are coming to Jackson you need to go through the Western Art Museum too.
If your out here during the hunt and fill out early the Harrimin State Park horse rides are incredible,
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2017 •  [Post 9]

The critter I would like to hunt is a Canadian moose. I would prefer to get one with my bow.

Thinking about Tigger wanting to find an arrow head reminds me that they are getting scarcer. I used to find them on our property when I was a kid and located quite a few when I was out working, but saw fewer and fewer as the years went by. If finding an arrow head was important to me, I know where I would hunt them if I could get permission. The land is owned by a timber company, and I doubt they have even thought about the prospect of finding Indian artifacts there. The place is an obvious old camping site.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 12 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I always look careful at stream crossing, overlooks, and any other area that looks like someone might spend some time there. So far....zip, zero, nothing. But that is sure something I want to find one day.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 31, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Three years ago I was blessed to able to drain part of my bucket. Got my zebra (2 actually) a kudu and several others. Bull elk with my bow has still eluded me. Picking up points and saving money for a moose. Only other one on the list is bison. Then start the journey with my son and hopefully some of the grandkids.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote: finding an arrowhead,!

My father in law has found dozens and dozens of them.
I found a bunch of chips and broken arrow heads on one piece of property. I took them to the fellow running the farm and he went ballistic. Years ago the far was shut down by the local tribe for an archeological search. I was told to not report any finds. Another field closer to home; same story.

I found chips a long way up th side of a butte where my dog and topped out, sort of a strange place
Lefty

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Hunters and others using public should be aware that it is illegal to gather up arrow heads and other artifacts. I believe it is the American Antiquities Act.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 14]

The only big game animal in Colorado I have not tagged are bear (I don't have a desire to) and a turkey.

big bull, big mulie, big horn sheep, rocky mtn goat, pronghorn,moose all been done. Now I only want to go hunting, but I don't need to kill anything.If it happens, fine, if not, no worries.
saddlesore

Postby ishy » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Alaska moose, and it is looking more doable now that a buddy has a boat up there now. So now I will only have to sell one kidney to make it happen.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 16]

ishy wrote:Alaska moose, and it is looking more doable now that a buddy has a boat up there now. So now I will only have to sell one kidney to make it happen.

Become a resident of Alaska ,.. could be cheaper
Lefty

Postby bald9eagle » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Take a bull elk
Get a turkey grand slam
Take a pronghorn
Take a mule deer
Take a bear

Most of all I want to hunt as many things and places as I can.
bald9eagle

Postby Lsb » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Bighorn and moose with my bow.
Lsb